diy solar

diy solar

Automatic transfer switch controller - not relative to mains power

JHovel

I wish to control an ATS (Automatic transfer switch) based on PV output and battery state of charge. Completely independent of mains voltage.
My intention is to run the house on battery when there is insufficient PV output to cover my power demand - including at night, AND there is sufficient SOC in the battery.
All I can find is ATS that switch to battery when the mains fails....
What are my options?

I wish to control an ATS (Automatic transfer switch) based on PV output and battery state of charge. Completely independent of mains voltage.
My intention is to run the house on battery when there is insufficient PV output to cover my power demand - including at night, AND there is sufficient SOC in the battery.
What are my options?
Will did a video on this ATS quite a while ago. Works kind of like a reverse UPS. Monitors battery V first. Not sure how big an ATS you needed, but was interesting. I believe they also make an 80 amp version too.

Last edited:
What are my options?
Run an inverter in self-supply mode. It will use PV and Battery first. When batteries are drained, or load too much for the inverter, it will take power from the grid. No switch needed.

Run an inverter in self-supply mode. It will use PV and Battery first. When batteries are drained, or load too much for the inverter, it will take power from the grid. No switch needed.
This response is exactly what I was searching for...Do the EG4 All-in-one Inverters do the self supply mode. And is there another name for this mode for when I'm researching other off grid inverters. This question if for an inverter that will take power from the grid ONLY after the batteries are drain or the load is too great for the inverter. Thank you.

Back