diy solar

diy solar

Awesome BMS!!!

Joshua@boatsmith

Hello I am a boat builder in Florida my current project is a electric power catamaran, but that isn't what I want to talk about. I don't know how everyone here ended up on this forum but I know how I did and it was because I needed information. Being that I am a boat builder not at all having much knowledge of electrical systems, solar installations, Inverter systems any of it for that matter and faced with this gigantic project in front of me I went into it blindly. A lot has changed along the way as I grew in knowledge and understanding along the way I've had several configurations of the system in this boat before I reached our current design. With that being said I started out with different batteries, bms and motors names of those companies really do not matter because I am not using them. The current design of this boat will have over 250 Lifepo4 cells as its propulsion and house bank batteries with all of these cells being used for different things I needed a bms that could handle the amount of cells I would have and also be compatible with the other systems I planned on using in the boat. We will have a big solar installation onboard with two independent victron systems in each hull along with other things. I finally chose to go with Emus Bms for both house banks and propulsion banks my past experiences with other bms's and the companies who made them did not go well most of them pretty much blew me off because honestly I was a complete idiot and its not there job to teach idiots. The experience I had with emus was different every time I had a dumb question or just flat out could not figure out what i was doing they helped the support was unlike i had with the past companies. If your looking for a good BMS and like me may need some extra help from time to time i strongly encourage you to look into there bms solutions they have gone above and beyond to help me get my systems up and working.

Hello I am a boat builder in Florida my current project is a electric power catamaran, but that isn't what I want to talk about. I don't know how everyone here ended up on this forum but I know how I did and it was because I needed information. Being that I am a boat builder not at all having much knowledge of electrical systems, solar installations, Inverter systems any of it for that matter and faced with this gigantic project in front of me I went into it blindly. A lot has changed along the way as I grew in knowledge and understanding along the way I've had several configurations of the system in this boat before I reached our current design. With that being said I started out with different batteries, bms and motors names of those companies really do not matter because I am not using them. The current design of this boat will have over 250 Lifepo4 cells as its propulsion and house bank batteries with all of these cells being used for different things I needed a bms that could handle the amount of cells I would have and also be compatible with the other systems I planned on using in the boat. We will have a big solar installation onboard with two independent victron systems in each hull along with other things. I finally chose to go with Emus Bms for both house banks and propulsion banks my past experiences with other bms's and the companies who made them did not go well most of them pretty much blew me off because honestly I was a complete idiot and its not there job to teach idiots. The experience I had with emus was different every time I had a dumb question or just flat out could not figure out what i was doing they helped the support was unlike i had with the past companies. If your looking for a good BMS and like me may need some extra help from time to time i strongly encourage you to look into there bms solutions they have gone above and beyond to help me get my systems up and working.
Looks a little bit like Batrium.

Which Model of BMS did you get?
How many cells per battery?
How many batteries in parallel?

I finally chose to go with Emus Bms for both house banks and propulsion banks
I had good luck with an Emus BMS on a VW conversion I did in 2012. That pack was 36 cells and I liked the cell top modules because I could split the pack into to separate parts and the BMS could compensate for the different resistance between the interconnection cable.

Last edited:
I had good luck with an Emus BMS on a VW conversion I did in 2012. That pack was 36 cells and I liked the with the cell top modules I could split the pack into to separate parts and the BMS could compensate for the different resistance between the interconnection cable.
What was max Cells supported for each battery?

Some of these HVDC guys might want to look into this one.

What was max Cells supported for each battery?
As far as I recall there was no practical limit since it is a decentralized BMS with individual balancing boards on each cell, connected via a single one wire network. I think they have also come up with a 16S version for the classic 48 volt stationary pack used in home systems.

Last edited:
Back