diy solar

diy solar

Overkill is the bombdiggidy.

gnomie

Just a quick note to anyone shopping for a BMS. After trying a couple of other "popular" brands of Battery Management Systems I wound up getting around to the Overkill BMS. I know, they are pretty ugly. They look a lot like a circuit board that was intended to be mounted in some large case with a bunch of other stuff, without the case or the other stuff. Their double blue ground cabling along with dual ribbon cables with non sequitur wire coloring will make you suspect that you are working with a device that was salvaged from behind the dash of a 2010 Prius. OK... get past it. Not only does this ugly duckling BMS offer a super intuitive app with far more control than its competitors, but they also offer that thing which is pure gold, a fantastic warranty backed up by an AMAZING customer service department. After 6 months in service my 100A 16S 48V Overkill BMS swallowed a bug and spit out an obviously flawed total SOC. Hey, it's electronics and there WAS a lot of solar flare EMP issues occurring. Still don't know what triggered it. There was ONE slightly loose nut on ONE cell pole. Doesn't really matter. What matters is that I emailed Overkill with my dilemma and they responded within a couple of HOURS asking for a screen shot from the control app configuration section. I promptly sent it and assumed I would hear back from them in a few days. Less than 24 hours later, ON A SUNDAY, I received a reply suggesting that I edit my cell capacity numbers to closer reflect the actual values offered by the cell manufacturer. Up to that point I had been operating with the default numbers pre-programmed by the app manufacturer. I had never seen the ACTUAL manufacturer's capacity recommendations before but, of course, they had them neatly arranged in easy to digest chart form attached to their reply. Bim bam bing. Instant fix. I guess I may be a little cynical of customer service departments since I waited for WEEKS to get a reply to an issue I had with another brand of BMS. The reply never came and the BMS went into the scrap bin. I simply MUST thank the team at Overkill BMS customer service for restoring my faith that not EVERYONE is just out to make a quick buck and then leave you hanging when a problem pops up. I'm not smart or talented enough to build my own BMS but I AM smart enough to know what BMS I will get for every solar project I undertake from now on, Overkill. Bigger IS better.

While doing a total rebuild of my system, I was reinstalling the BMS and connected a wire wrong, destroying the BMS. No matter it was my own stupid fault, Overkill replaced it with a new one. They really do take customer service to another level.

Back