diy solar

diy solar

AWG Cord Selection

Last edited:
Please help me understand, I get the 150V and the 20Amp... What I dont get is if those are the limits... then how is the unit rated for 2000W of Solar Input? I have 2 Mangos and 4 400w panels so I guess Ill be charging them simultaneously... what bothers me is how Indiana will never get max performance out of a solar panel. An

Last edited:
Help a Newby out... 4pannels at 39V=156V The Mango accepts 150. Surely there is some loss... So how is this Over Voltage? Also should I guess you dont have any input on the AWG for a 50foot cord?
Voc is a hard limit you do not go over and leave a cushion for, unless you want to risk the magic smoke escaping.
There is loss on the wire over distance, but there is also gain on Voc at cold temperatures.
The wire gauge depends on the voltage and current at x distance.
In your case 10 awg should be fine, even 12 would probably be good but you need to determine your panel setup and then plug your numbers into a voltage drop calculator.

Voc is a hard limit you do not go over and leave a cushion for, unless you want to risk the magic smoke escaping.
There is loss on the wire over distance, but there is also gain on Voc at cold temperatures.
The wire gauge depends on the voltage and current at x distance.
In your case 10 awg should be fine, even 12 would probably be good but you need to determine your panel setup and then plug your numbers into a voltage drop calculator.
VOC?

Last edited:
VOC? I am new... Im sorry I need this dumbed down.
Voltage Open Circuit. (the max they will produce with no load).

2000W / 20 A = 100V

So, if you have an array with 100Vmp (voltage at maximum power) capable of outputting 20A, you would get the 2000W.

While 20A is a limit, in the vast majority of cases, it is acceptable to exceed this by some amount. The additional current will simply not be used, but more PV means you'll get more in unfavorable conditions, i.e., a 2000W array in cloudy conditions will produce less power than a 3000W array. This is called over-paneling.

Back