diy solar

diy solar

Need Wire and fuse size suggestions

simoncwindsor

I recently built my system using the eco-worthy AIO 24V 3k (HF2430U60-100), and I have a question regarding the selection of wire and fuse from the battery to my inverter. For my current 3k system, I've connected 2x12V 150Ah batteries with 2 AWG wire as per the manual's suggestion. Now, I'm planning to upgrade to 4 x 12V 150Ah batteries (2s2p), resulting in a 24V 300Ah configuration.
My concern is whether the 2 AWG wire will be sufficient to handle this increased load or if I should opt for a larger size of copper wire.

Additionally, I'm still uncertain about selecting the appropriate fuse for the connection from the batteries to the device. Currently, I have a 200A T fuse installed between the batteries and the device. Is that correct for me to install 200A fuses for each parallel battery setup?
Thank you for your advice in advance.

I recently built my system using the eco-worthy AIO 24V 3k (HF2430U60-100), and I have a question regarding the selection of wire and fuse from the battery to my inverter. For my current 3k system, I've connected 2x12V 150Ah batteries with 2 AWG wire as per the manual's suggestion. Now, I'm planning to upgrade to 4 x 12V 150Ah batteries (2s2p), resulting in a 24V 300Ah configuration.
My concern is whether the 2 AWG wire will be sufficient to handle this increased load or if I should opt for a larger size of copper wire.

What increased load? You're actually halving the load by spreading it out over more batteries.

Additionally, I'm still uncertain about selecting the appropriate fuse for the connection from the batteries to the device. Currently, I have a 200A T fuse installed between the batteries and the device. Is that correct for me to install 200A fuses for each parallel battery setup?
Thank you for your advice in advance.

Fuses/breakers sized for 1.25X wire rating. Round up to nearest available size.

What increased load? You're actually halving the load by spreading it out over more batteries.

Fuses/breakers sized for 1.25X wire rating. Round up to nearest available size.
There's no increase in load. The routine load of this solar system is around 200~300Wh.
Sometimes, the PV can cover the load without batteries.
I plan to increase the battery capacity for use during night-time or on cloudy days.

There's no increase in load. The routine load of this solar system is around 200~300Wh.
Sometimes, the PV can cover the load without batteries.
I plan to increase the battery capacity for use during night-time or on cloudy days.

I think you missed my point.

Adding more battery capacity does not increase the load. It actually decreases the load per battery.

If 2awg was sufficient for your initial battery bank (assuming you sized for the inverter peak loads), it's fine for your larger battery bank.

I think you missed my point.

Adding more battery capacity does not increase the load. It actually decreases the load per battery.

If 2awg was sufficient for your initial battery bank (assuming you sized for the inverter peak loads), it's fine for your larger battery bank.
Understood. So, when selecting the wire between the battery and the inverter, we only need to consider the load from the inverter side. The size of the fuses and breakers will then depend on the wire size we choose, is that correct? Thank you for the clarification.

Fuses protect wires from fire. They are typically rated to 125% of the wire's ampacity. Amperage is calculated as watts/volts. Google wire ampacity chart to pick a wire 20% higher than that calculation.

Back