diy solar

diy solar

Backwards Z brackets?

acolunga07

I am about to install 4 200W panels on the roof with Z brackets but I am considering putting them backwards (see picture). This orientation with some customers/large square nuts will allow me to easily remove the panel in case I ever need to. Does anyone see a problem with this?

It’ll be a little more difficult to first install (I’ll have to mark locations, remove from panel, screw onto roof and then reattach to panel), but I’m ok with that.

Attachments

• IMG_3262.jpeg
    IMG_3262.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3261.jpeg
    IMG_3261.jpeg
    67.6 KB · Views: 49
Seems like you will have a serious challenge with the hand/wrench clearance to bolt the bracket to the panel. Let us know what happens.

If you have other panels next to it, you will still have tight quarters to get any wrench in there.

It’ll be a little more difficult to first install (I’ll have to mark locations, remove from panel, screw onto roof and then reattach to panel), but I’m ok with that.

I considered do that. But I spent a lot of time finding the right spots on the roof to attach the brackets. I then spaced the brackets on the panel, drilling new holes in the panels as needed.

As far as the Z brackets, I'm going to use a unistrut-like mounting system next time. The brackets are a lot more work than unistrut.

I am about to install 4 200W panels on the roof with Z brackets but I am considering putting them backwards (see picture). This orientation with some customers/large square nuts will allow me to easily remove the panel in case I ever need to. Does anyone see a problem with this?

I'm considering this as well, and may I make a suggestion? Either way I mount the brackets, I'm going to epoxy the bolts to the panels so they stick down like studs. Then I can loosen/tighten the nuts from the underside without needing a wrench on the bolt head.

I would use aluminum riv nuts to attache the brackets to the frame. These would eliminate the need to use nuts that otherwise could not be accessed by a wrench

View attachment 165102

View attachment 165103
668108764avatar
I bought an inexpensive Rivnut tool on Amazon years ago and used it on my Renogy tilt brackets to get rid of those stupid wing-nuts. I hadn’t thought of using them for the panels.
Dave

If you are putting the panels on a van roof, then you will want to tie them to the vehicle roof mounting pad locations.

Those are the locations designed for roof loads. The sheet metal in the middle of a van roof is not designed for mounting things to it even though yes people do it.

Back