diy solar

diy solar

batteries question

Orchid Vanman

Recently had installed a pair of Sungold power ?? ?? ??? solar inverters with 4 SunGold 48v 100ah server rack batteries. We are finding that we are running out of electricity before the sun comes up and the system shuts itself off. What I am wondering is will this damage the batteries? being rundown to shut off before charging again? Is there a way to program the inverter to charge from the utility after peak utility hours?. if I leave it hooked up to the utility after the sun goes down, it starts charging during the peak hours. I'm not interested in charging at that time, but I don't know how to go about programming the inverters to do anything different.
I recently ordered and received five more of their 48 V hundred amp hour batteries and I'm waiting to get them installed. That will take care of my running out of power in the night issue.

being rundown to shut off before charging again?
What is shutting off? The BMS? The inverter?

Presumably if your BMS is doing its job correctly (cells not below 2.5V), the battery should be fine.
I don't know how to go about programming the inverters to do anything different.
Can you post a link to the manual?

Or start a thread asking about programming your inverter (with descriptive title).

or wade thru this monster thread...

Recently had installed a pair of Sungold power ?? ?? ??? solar inverters with 4 SunGold 48v 100ah server rack batteries.

Those 10kW burn a lot of juice just being on. Your inverters are consuming 1.4 of your 4 batteries per day.

We are finding that we are running out of electricity before the sun comes up and the system shuts itself off. What I am wondering is will this damage the batteries?

Generally no.

being rundown to shut off before charging again? Is there a way to program the inverter to charge from the utility after peak utility hours?.

Usually. The trick is to set it higher than the either the cut off voltage or the votlage the BMS happens to cut the battery off (may be higher than expected due to a low voltage cell).

if I leave it hooked up to the utility after the sun goes down, it starts charging during the peak hours. I'm not interested in charging at that time, but I don't know how to go about programming the inverters to do anything different.

Some inverters have time-of-use options.

I recently ordered and received five more of their 48 V hundred amp hour batteries and I'm waiting to get them installed. That will take care of my running out of power in the night issue.

Hopefully.

Do you have solar?

The answer is yes, you can set up to do time slot charging. Setting #40 thru 53 (starts on pg 46 for the SPH5048P and pg 27 for the SPH10K48SP).
I have not done this myself.
Do you have two 5kw (SPH5048P) wired in parallel spit phase or do you have two 10kw (SPH10K48SP).

The answer is yes, you can set up to do time slot charging. Setting #40 thru 53 (starts on pg 46 for the SPH5048P and pg 27 for the SPH10K48SP).
I have not done this myself.
Do you have two 5kw (SPH5048P) wired in parallel spit phase or do you have two 10kw (SPH10K48SP).
Two SP6548’s

Those 10kW burn a lot of juice just being on. Your inverters are consuming 1.4 of your 4 batteries per day.

Generally no.

Usually. The trick is to set it higher than the either the cut off voltage or the votlage the BMS happens to cut the battery off (may be higher than expected due to a low voltage cell).

Some inverters have time-of-use options.

Hopefully.

Do you have solar?
Yes 14 SunGold panels

Great, a bit more clear than the first post. There are lots of smart folks who participate in this forum who are smarter and more experienced than me. Any pictures or other details that you can provide would also be helpfull. For example; are the inverters wired/connected with grid input, how are your batteries wired together and how do you intend to wire in the new ones later. Do you have any monitoring system/software such as Solar Assistant. What loads are you running from the inverters. What size (watt rating) and make/model are the panels.

Last edited:
Adding more batteries won't help if you don't have enough PV+sun to meet ALL of your daily needs. If you're not meeting all of your daily needs with PV, it doesn't matter how much battery you add, you will still eventually run out or have to fall back to grid.
Unfortunately.☹️

Back