diy solar

diy solar

Evolution of Grid Assist to Off Grid

garetwo

I ventured out into the other areas of this forum, it was jumping into the fast lane too quickly. I also know these “discussions” can branch out into “you should never have done it that way” and this is very often true, but, perhaps we can just stick with making what we have work as best as is possible?

My focus has been a friend’s grid assisted set-up with a goal of off-grid. I have learned a LOT in here; I think we are getting close to making his better. We know the PV setup is not optimal for full charging of the batteries, and he does not wish to use the utility through the MPPT on the inverters, but he has been forced to, for now. The generator is too small to use as the AC input on the inverters, so it is attached to a charger that is directly connected to the DC bus with all four banks of batteries connected.

Where we were:

One naïve electrician and one slightly better than naïve friend

16 ea Canadian solar panels 390W ea (not with optimal mounting). On wood framing at less than 30 degree angle and not facing 180 degrees. Maybe a 20 degree tilt and facing 130 degrees – I did not measure it.

12 Jita 12.8Vdc 300Ah batteries 4S4P to a common bus

2 SunGold 6548 inverters with Utility AC input

1 pure sine wave inverter with a manual start 4500W genset

Where we are:

One realized even less knowledgeable electrician and one scared friend

16 ea Canadian solar panels 390W ea (not with optimal mounting)

16 Jita 12.8Vdc 300Ah batteries 4S4P to a common bus

4 SunGold 6548 inverters with Utility AC input

1 pure sine wave inverter with a manual start 4500W genset

Where going, requesting input, plus questions:

No idea on the electrician or friend.

Monitoring of the four banks of 4 batteries in series – leaning toward four each Renogy 500A, they come with a shunt. Is there an app to read and save all data from four of these?

Some method of warning that batteries need charging and/or should stop being bulk charged by the genset and go to float from the inverters. Can we automate disconnecting the output of the inverter charger to each bank as they reach maximum?

Maybe moving the PV’s to adjustable pole mounts? 4 panels per pole like the Tamarack Solar UNI-PGRM/4P1 Economy Horizontal Four Module Top of Pole Mount.

Inverter Settings:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yzvzpDwhONQIgCkK4Ws343pip1Tea2j0XZ8zo5I5X6c/edit?usp=sharing

We are adding the Mazava HAO2 Battery Equalizer Voltage Regulator Balancer for 4 pcs Batteries in Series
AND the Renogy 500A Battery Monitor with Shunt

Is there a software program the Renogy can report to?

Back