diy solar

diy solar

Battery bank failing - remove troublemakers or leave them in as they provide "some" power?

Simi 60

As mentioned in another post our 880ah @ 24v of AGM is failing after 5 years of full time use.
840ah @ 24v worth of EVE have been paid for and hopefully will soon be on their way.
In the meantime, trying to keep what we have operational.

Method for the last few weeks is to wake up at 5am, batts will be reading 23.9v on the Victron 702 (individually measured some are 12+v but some are 10+v) and start the Genset smashing in around 90 amps for about 1.5 hours along with doing the hot water system.
Batteries instantly read as 24+v, individually all 12+v and during the charge none get noticeable hotter than the others (shooting with laser thermometer)
During the day 2500w of solar finishes off charge and supplies daily loads
At night when going to bed batts still reading around 24.5v

It has been suggested to charge them up, shut down the system and let rest and then remove the troublemakers and rewire into a smaller 6 batt or even a 4 batt bank of good batteries be it at dramatically reduced ah.
But my way of thinking is that even though the removed batteries were dragging the others down, they do still have actual ah in them and were providing something.

Existing batts are 70 kg each, in a tight space and the cabling, while done professionally is a bit of a maze as the batts aren't flat on floor but shelved up a wall with a very tight squeeze to get past them so I have been a bit loathed to disconnect , remove the troublemakers and rewire

Thoughts?

i would remove the trouble-makers, and while you're there, clean up the space and prepare what you can for the new batteries. it'll give you a head start (just my two cents).

12v? 24v? How are these wired? I would be more concerned if they are paired in series with a 12v and 10v battery trying to make 24v.

I would be more inclined to start separating.

12v? 24v? How are these wired? I would be more concerned if they are paired in series with a 12v and 10v battery trying to make 24v.

I would be more inclined to start separating.
Seems like they're 12v batteries in series to 24v. I presume the ones measuring 10v are the bad (or going bad) ones.

I'd pay very close attention to them if you know they are failing. My AGMs started to actively vent hydrogen whenever the sun was out and charge controller started to charge them. They were older than yours though.

i would remove the trouble-makers, and while you're there, clean up the space and prepare what you can for the new batteries. it'll give you a head start (just my two cents).
My concern is going to be that once I start doing that there won't be enough battery
power to run the boat.
We cruise full time, no marina, no shore power
I'd pay very close attention to them if you know they are failing. My AGMs started to actively vent hydrogen whenever the sun was out and charge controller started to charge them. They were older than yours though.
Noted. I am down there daily giving them a look over and shoot with the laser during charging looking for abnormal temp.
Seems like they're 12v batteries in series to 24v. I presume the ones measuring 10v are the bad (or going bad) ones.
Yes, 12 into 24
I would assume same that low voltage ones are dying and as stated above, if doing that I think we will be dead in the water so to speak.

Back