diy solar

diy solar

Battery bms stuck in protection mode - in parallel 2 total

This confuses me… Although I like the sounds of it! Would I not get a longer use of the batteries, without having to worry about recharging, if there are two “working” batteries? Is this actually a “normal” situation with lithium in parallel?

Yes you would get longer use with two fully functioning batteries. But without the Bluetooth, you would’ve had no idea they weren’t functioning 100% as they should.

Think of all those people who overpaid for Battleborn and think they work great but since there’s no Bluetooth, they would have no idea if they’re working as they should or not. They’re just guessing. Or hoping, because for how much they paid, they should hope they work correctly (and Battleborn has issues like any battery).

The Bluetooth is awesome because it can help point out flaws in your system. Which are usually flaws outside of the battery.

The BMS will go into protect mode at X volts. It should then release protection mode once the voltage falls back to Y volts. Somewhere in your BMS those variables are defined.
Well, chins is stating “High voltage protection is 3.65V±100Mv When the battery drops below 3.65V±100Mv, the high voltage protection will be automatically lifted.” and I do not see these figures in the bms app… What I now see is VolHigh 3.355… clueless as to what 3.65V±100Mv means :). And thank you, I sincerely appreciate the answers, suggestion, support!
3.65V±100Mv, BMS will go into protect mode at X volts. It should then release protection mode once the voltage falls back to Y volts. Somewhere in your BMS those variables are defined.

Yes you would get longer use with two fully functioning batteries. But without the Bluetooth, you would’ve had no idea they weren’t functioning 100% as they should.

Think of all those people who overpaid for Battleborn and think they work great but since there’s no Bluetooth, they would have no idea if they’re working as they should or not. They’re just guessing. Or hoping, because for how much they paid, they should hope they work correctly (and Battleborn has issues like any battery).

The Bluetooth is awesome because it can help point out flaws in your system. Which are usually flaws outside of the battery.
I think most add a shunt to monitor :)?, and I was trying to avoid this. I get so many crash courses in stuff in I didn't particularly want to know!!!

Well, chins is stating “High voltage protection is 3.65V±100Mv When the battery drops below 3.65V±100Mv, the high voltage protection will be automatically lifted.” and I do not see these figures in the bms app… What I now see is VolHigh 3.355…

As an example, I recently discovered that my charge controller was spiking 16-18v into my lithium battery. A lifepo4 battery shouldn’t get more than 14.6v. It was causing the charge protection in the BMS to come on (won’t allow charging) until the voltage spikes had stopped.

And I knew all this because of Bluetooth on the battery and charge controller ?

FYI 3.65v times 4 cells inside a 12v battery = 14.6v

I think most add a shunt to monitor :)?, and I was trying to avoid this. I get so many crash courses in stuff in I didn't particularly want to know!!!

But a shunt monitor isn’t going to show that the charge MOSFET is turned off due to the protection kicking in.

But you could see with a shunt that no amps are passing into a battery when you think it should and your best guess is that the charge MOSFET is turned off.

Again, I don’t think it’s your batteries. If it was, then you’d also have problems on solar and alternator charging.

And like I said before, there is a LONG thread on here somewhere about someone having a lot of problems with their RV converter and the supposed lithium “upgrade” module. It sounds like it’s over charging your batteries.

CHINS $ are decent batteries, for the price. WAY better than Renogy. Renogy is overpriced $$$, design problems and has horrible customer service, unlike Chins. And there’sa recent thread here about Battleborn $$$$ that makes me seriously question the safety design of their batteries, not to mention they are way way overpriced.

If you are convinced that the only fix is to get different batteries, then do it, but get SOK $$$ or Powerurus $$ instead.

But if I were you, I’d first disconnect your converter (the shoe charging aspect, if possible to disconnect just that part) and get a real lithium charger.
No I do not want to get dif batteries!! it is extremely hard to access and work with the batteries where they are. Way up underneath the van with about 2 inches of finger space to connect cables and so forth. Ahhh the things I’ve learned about vans since I bought this one. :). I’ll have to ask the Travato group how to even go about troubleshooting the converter and how, if, where to go about this! The converter is way deep inside of a cabinet… Everything in this class B are tight, tight tight!

As an example, I recently discovered that my charge controller was spiking 16-18v into my lithium battery. A lifepo4 battery shouldn’t get more than 14.6v. It was causing the charge protection in the BMS to come on (won’t allow charging) until the voltage spikes had stopped.

And I knew all this because of Bluetooth on the battery and charge controller ?

FYI 3.65v times 4 cells inside a 12v battery = 14.6v
Ok bear with me, all 4 cells will add up to this? So did you change out your charge controller?? … and I’m not even sure what it charge controller is ?, told ya I was novice!

But a shunt monitor isn’t going to show that the charge MOSFET is turned off due to the protection kicking in.

But you could see with a shunt that no amps are passing into a battery when you think it should and your best guess is that the charge MOSFET is turned off.
Ok! I’m learning at a very fast rate :). Thank you.

No I do not want to get dif batteries!! it is extremely hard to access and work with the batteries where they are. Way up underneath the van with about 2 inches of finger space to connect cables and so forth. Ahhh the things I’ve learned about vans since I bought this one. :). I’ll have to ask the Travato group how to even go about troubleshooting the converter and how, if, where to go about this! The converter is way deep inside of a cabinet… Everything in this class B are tight, tight tight!

Yeah I know those tight spaces, it’s almost as tight in our trailer. Fortunately we “just had” to install electrical system 2.0, so this time I installed bus bars. Those are very difficult to access (behind the fridge and a piece of wood they’re mounted on upside down facing opposite my hands), but the battery can simply pull out and all I need to do is disconnect the two heavy cables. I do wish it was a 24v system at this point though so I could’ve used cables half as thick. Even with high quality ultra flexible battery cables, it’s a difficult fit to get everything in there!

image.jpg

Well, chins is stating “High voltage protection is 3.65V±100Mv When the battery drops below 3.65V±100Mv, the high voltage protection will be automatically lifted.” and I do not see these figures in the bms app… What I now see is VolHigh 3.355… clueless as to what 3.65V±100Mv means :). And thank you, I sincerely appreciate the answers, suggestion, support!
High Voltage protection of 3.65V is pretty standard. When a cell hits that voltage the protection kicks in. Your VolHigh 3.355V is the voltage of the highest cell at the time (note it is a ways below the 3.65 danger zone).

Don't get a shunt, it won't tell you anything the app doesn't.

Learn your app. You have given screenshots of the real-time and control screens, take a look at the parameter screens and post some of them. On the control screen you should be able to turn the battery back on so both can discharge. With both discharging take a look at each battery voltage, parallel batteries should have the same voltage.

You have 3 charging sources (shore,solar,alternator), sounds like shore may be pushing in a little too much. Options are to stay out of boost mode, or just turn off the charger and run on the batteries for a while.

Back