diy solar

diy solar

Eg4 6500ex Stuck in bypass. New firmware update less efficient

Jaz2012r

Hello guys I am having some issues with the EG4 6500 inverter after doing the firmware update. I purchased the inverter back in apr 2023 and I have now did my first firmware update about a month ago because I noticed my led lights would dim in and out as the sun came up and started charging the batteries so I did the update which I regret now. I had my settings where only solar could charge the batteries and I am in SBU mode; putting solar as priority, then battery and then utility when it hit low voltage. So I ended up having a couple of cloudy days in Texas that ran down the battery and the inverter went into bypass mode when it hit 46v in the settings. But when the sun came out again and it was bright and sunny outside, it would not get out of bypass mode nor would it recognize the batteries to charge them. I called signature solar and went through some trouble shooting steps and still nothing. It did this for days until it miraculously read the batteries and started charging them again and switched out of bypass mode. I have 8 battle born batteries connected in a way to make a 48v system (The batteries were balanced before connecting them). When it was stuck in bypass mode I checked the voltage on the batteries and it read around 45.4v so the batteries themselves did not discharge nor were the batteries being charged by the inverter. One thing I did notice is that I had settings 12 (Setting voltage point back to utility source when...) and 29 (Low DC cut-off voltage) set as both 46v. So I adjusted the settings and changed settings 29 to 45v and kept setting 12 the same ;46v. I also changed it to where utility can charge the batteries as well by changing settings 16 to C50 . Now I'm just waiting to see if anything changes. It sucks that I don't have a 48v battery charger. I only have 12v battery charger. I was hoping that I would have a system I can sit and forget except for yearly maintenance such as battery balancing but the new update seemed to mess things up. It is currently stuck in bypass mode beeping b4 error and occasionally 04 error. It's not charging batteries even with the change of settings. Do anyone know why it would do this?

ALSO do anyone have a link to the old eg4 6500 firmware ?

So for some reason the 6500 “remembers” when it hits the threshold to switch over to utility mode and it will remain in that mode until it meets the threshold set to switch back to battery mode. I can be annoying sometimes. It happened to me during some of my testing. It has to pass the value set for option 13 (I believe) in order to switch back.

You might want to bump up option 12 to be closer to 48v and then leave 29 as a backup at 46v.

Do you have solar as well or are you just charging the batteries from utility? What do you have set for options 2, 5 and 11?

What firmware did you update to and what firmware would you be looking to downgrade to? I kept a copy of a lot of the old firmware files on my computer.

Yes 7.5k solar array. It isn't even charging the batteries. The inverter is beeping battery power alert and occasionally error code 04 as if for a second it reads the batteries for voltage and then goes back to not reading it. So it can't even get to what I have set for the switch over because there is no charging, even with the sun out and even when I have changed the setting for utility and solar to charge them. I'm wondering if the EG4 companies are only doing the testing with their own batteries.

Settings 2) 90amp 5) user defined 11)30amps

And that is so awesome! Unfortunatly I don't remember what software was on my inverter previously let me check.

I wonder if somethings up with the battleborn batteries and they’re preventing the charging? I know quite a few people (including myself) that didn’t have EG4 batteries on their 6500s.

Can you disconnect your battleborns and put a 12v charger on each to see if they all take the charge?

What firmware had the best results on your system? I am also planning to do a firmware update but want to avoid the issues everyone else is experiencing. I had 1-6500ex 48 RMA'd through SS a year ago and that one is running 79.60 the other is 61.06. They keep changing settings periodically. Really annoying. Thoughts?

What firmware had the best results on your system? I am also planning to do a firmware update but want to avoid the issues everyone else is experiencing. I had 1-6500ex 48 RMA'd through SS a year ago and that one is running 79.60 the other is 61.06. They keep changing settings periodically. Really annoying. Thoughts?
It's hard to say. I had tested out every firmware update and each one seemed to have it's own little issues. The latest firmware seemed to fail-over to grid when it never happened before on prior versions, but I haven't heard of anyone else experiencing the same thing. The biggest thing though is the latest one lets you control the G/N bond without having to mess with removing screws from inside the inverter.

Successfully upUgh! The latest firmware. It worked great for 2 days. Now it has shut down and has F90 code. Uggh!!!
Hmm. Take a look at this post regarding F90. To my knowledge usually the vendor has to help resolve the issue.

Thanks, that is exactly what mine did. 2p2-F90 after the newest firmware update. I was afraid something like this might happen.
I can't believe the amount of wasted time trying to get bugs worked out.

Thanks, that is exactly what mine did. 2p2-F90 after the newest firmware update. I was afraid something like this might happen.
I can't believe the amount of wasted time trying to get bugs worked out.
Just spitballing here, but if you break the split phase pair apart and go back to SIG for both, does the inverter still show f90?

Back