diy solar

diy solar

Battery can't communicate with the Solis Inverter

hammadfbh

Hello everyone,

Hope you are having a great day!

My setup is:

Solis RHI-5K-48ES-5G Inverter (supports on grid and off grid) (RS485/CANBUS)

Fronus 48V 85Ah Battery (with RS232 as INVCOM and RS485 as BATCOM)

My plan is to buy a Pylontech U-2000C (supports RS485 and CANBUS), also compatible with my inverter, and connect the Fronus battery in parallel (also connect the BATCOM to the Pylontech). To finally, connect the CANBUS from Pylontech with my inverter's CAN port. So, is it cogent? Is it bad? Can it maybe work?

Furthermore, if you know any other method to make the Fronus battery, currently using on Lead Acid settings, work with the Solis inverter let us know. I would love to hear from you what you think or experienced.

Thank you for taking the time to read it till the end.

you fronius battery may speak a different language ( protocol) than your solis is able to understand.

big brands have a tendancy to try and get you into a vendor lock

since pylontech is the default standard i am sure the solis will understand that.
please be aware thought, that you pay a very hefty premium for pylontech.
it may be worth your while to look at different brands of lifepo4 batteries ( or bms'es if your willing to diy)

just my 2 cents

Thank you for your opinion, houseofancients! In Pakistan, we get Pylontech, a 2.4KWh unit, for 540 USD or lower. It's not that expensive, but still very high-priced than Fronius. I am just worried that different brands working in parallel might not be the best thing to do.

Solis does recommend Pylontech batteries, so I am not worried about it not working properly. Just not sure that Fronius will communicate with the Pylontech module.

Thank you for your opinion, houseofancients! In Pakistan, we get Pylontech, a 2.4KWh unit, for 540 USD or lower. It's not that expensive, but still very high-priced than Fronius. I am just worried that different brands working in parallel might not be the best thing to do.

Solis does recommend Pylontech batteries, so I am not worried about it not working properly. Just not sure that Fronius will communicate with the Pylontech module.
that is what i mean by vendor lock-in...
i doubt the fronius will be able to talk to the pylontech ( Awsome pricing on that btw...)

what you could do is find a dealer that sells both, and give them a call to verify they can talk to eachother

I get your point, but let's say theoretically. I just connect them in parallel (without communication) will my system work? As, I can limit the current input from the inverter, charge will be distributed, so after pylontech is fully charged will the fronus battery, as it is 4.8 kwh, keep on charging is the real question.

The vendors here in Pakistan just sell the same and compatible brands, they don't have that much experience with these kind of things.

Back