diy solar

diy solar

Battery connection

JRLocator

I have 4 Power Queen batteries. The manual shows to hook each battery positive, one to another, and negative one to another for a parallel set up. Then to hook up each battery positive to the positive terminal block and each negative terminal to the negative terminal block. Isn't this a redundant hook up with a lot of extra cable material? Wouldn't it make more sense to just hook up each battery to the terminal blocks. That would connect all 4 batteries together in parallel, or am I missing something on this?

You can do it either way

I have separate equal length cables to each of my 12v batteries from a busbar for redundancy (easy adding/swapping of individual 12v batteries) - cables must be created equally otherwise the difference in cable resistance will load/charge each battery differently

Attachments

• parallel.png
    parallel.png
    6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Ok. I do understand the loading. I have different lengths due to the area I have to install the control panel and the batteries. I did jumper the positive terminals together but when it came to the negative cables, it has become congested on the batteries and the terminals. I wonder in the manual hooking both ways is their way of maintaining the battery balance?

Attachments

• Solor set up.jpg
    Solor set up.jpg
    382.6 KB · Views: 25
I wonder in the manual hooking both ways is their way of maintaining the battery balance?
I think you're referring to balance as you would a series connection. None are necessary in parallel as that is the nature of parallel like two balloons joined together, however equal cable lengths from each battery to busbar is vital.

Ok that makes sense. Just realized that I am using 2/0 AWG wire. Very stiff and expensive. My batteries are 26.8 volts, 100AH. By the chart I can use 2AWG, {120A max). 2AWG will be better to configure and make all the same length as the longest one.

Ok that makes sense. Just realized that I am using 2/0 AWG wire. Very stiff and expensive. My batteries are 26.8 volts, 100AH. By the chart I can use 2AWG, {120A max). 2AWG will be better to configure and make all the same length as the longest one.
2/0 wire comes in a 8 or 10 wire combination and a multi wire (perhaps 75 to 100 wires?). The 8 or 10 wire combination is indeed very stiff, but the true multi wire combination is very flexible. As far as I saw all 2/0 cable is expensive, especially if you need a lot of wire. Wiring from my inverters to my home cost me over $1,000 for 2 AWG wire. I hate to think about how much 2/0 or 4/0 cable would have cost for that distance.

Back