diy solar

diy solar

Battery extensions

Zoltan Doka

Hi. I have an existing 3x100 Ah Winston LIFePO4 battery bank on our catamaran. They are 3 years old. I want to extend my capacity to 600 AH. Can I just add an other 3 X 100 Ah? Or is there any concern to do so?
Thanks for any feedback.
Zoltan SV iCat

Your doing this for added load or added run time between filling charging?

Adding more LiFePO₄ batteries in parallel with your existing LiFePO₄ batteries should not be an issue. The trick is to properly wire all 6 in parallel to ensure the batteries are used in a balanced fashion. And make sure all 6 are fully charged before connecting them together in parallel. Hooking LiFePO₄ in parallel when there is too much voltage difference can result in a lot of current between the batteries until it all balances out. You want to avoid that.

Victron's "Wiring Unlimited" has a whole section on batteries in parallel. Read chapter 3 of the following:

What’s the peak current demand you expect?

If current is low it’s easier on the banks to share current and remain balanced

What’s the peak current demand you expect?

If current is low it’s easier on the banks to share current and remain balanced
As we live on a sailboat, it's about energy storage. I have a Victron 3000 Watt Inverter, which covers all the need we have on board.

Adding more LiFePO₄ batteries in parallel with your existing LiFePO₄ batteries should not be an issue. The trick is to properly wire all 6 in parallel to ensure the batteries are used in a balanced fashion. And make sure all 6 are fully charged before connecting them together in parallel. Hooking LiFePO₄ in parallel when there is too much voltage difference can result in a lot of current between the batteries until it all balances out. You want to avoid that.

Victron's "Wiring Unlimited" has a whole section on batteries in parallel. Read chapter 3 of the following:

Thank you for your input and the interesting link.

That's OK. In most cases of mixed batteries, it is only necessary to ensure that the voltages are equal (that is, in parallel), so it is good to expand the batteries. Also, I'm curious about one thing, why to 600Ah? Wouldn't it be better to raise the voltage a bit?

diy solar

diy solar
Back