diy solar

diy solar

Battery installation prep

pvdude

Solar Enthusiast
Started getting ready for batteries!
(Picking them up tomorrow)
Started battery monitor wiring, and a installed a vent to the outside for the battery fumes.
I’m going to build a Lexan box around the batteries,
pressurize it w/ a 12vdc fan that will be operated by the inverter, which has a fan power connection.

battery_monitor_n_cables.jpg
boring_vent_opening.jpg
battery_exhaust_vent.jpg
batteryventinsideview.jpg

Reconsider - what happens if your fan stops working and you lose positive pressure? A box full of hydrogen that won't try to naturally vent out of that floor-level vent.

I'd rethink this. Put the "hydrogen exhaust" vent tubing at the TOP of the enclosure, and have it exit via the roof, or as high on a wall as you can. (placed to avoid getting near those panels too). This way if the fan quits, there is still a natural flow for the lighter-than-air hydrogen to want to escape naturally.

That cramped block-wall space kinda freaks me out, since if this is done improperly, and if the block-wall room is also tightly sealed, well - you get the idea.

I see a fire-extinguisher. Good. Assuming you could actually enter the building to get to it, if things go plasma because wires and connectors have melted together rendering breakers, fuses and so forth useless, I'd also like to see an EASILY ACCESSIBLE pair of INSULATED bolt cutters (wrap and insulate the arms, exposing only the cutting heads) so you can at least chomp through ONE of the battery leads.

I usually leave at least one polarity out in a large loop AWAY from the other, so you can cut just one, and not add to the problem by shorting.

Dramatic? Perhaps so, but hey, if it saves someone from injury, it's well worth it.

I hate vented battery cases. This is the one I built For my RV. Not pretty, but it vents upwards. I intended at some point to add a fan through the wall similar to what you wanted, but have not. When I was building my vent, I considered tapping into an RV plumbing vent, but decided against this.

BC19B030-3698-4559-9F84-39A48ABAFB7C.jpeg
Building this case probably took at least two weeks of time. Mostly because I bought golf cart batteries. Felt I was the first person to ever build a vented battery case in an RV before.

I would be surprised if enough Hydrogen is produced to be a danger.
If these batteries produce that much Hydrogen, I’ll trap it and build a dirigible for a hobby project;)

Plan “B” is just install a monitor:

Looks like you have a garage door on the left side? How well does that seal up? That entire area might be having significant air exchanges daily even when closed....

Yeah, no sweat, looks like this isn't your first rodeo. Just looking out.

Kind of like playing a chess game staying a move or two ahead. Like if those batteries are badly out of balance when you hook them up as a bank and flip on the go juice. Or if there is a spark in that service panel just above the box while the badly balanced bank is outgassing. Just playing the "what if's"...

Looks like you got it under control and know the ropes of your own install.

It’s a fairly leaky shed, at least for air. (Metal roof does not leak....yet)
Hope to be able to leave the wall mounted AC on 24x7 in Summer, powered by the new solar.
I appreciate the guidance and advice about taking care w/ Hydrogen!
The Department of Redundancy Department require me to install two fans, one powered by the inverter, the other powered by the grid.

Back