diy solar

diy solar

Battery monitor advice

metalheaddoc

How much can I trust the battery capacity monitor on my SCC? I am looking for a percentage or bar graph type of gauge. Is a shunt type battery monitor better? I am a little wary due to the price of the Renogy one but the off brand ones on Amazon seem too good to be true price-wise. My set up is a basic 400W system 12V LiFePO4 setup.

The Renogy solar controller SOC reading is based on voltage and as explained in the instructions, is a estimate only. It will not give meaningful readings.
A shunt based battery monitor will give more accurate results, generally the more expensive the more reliable. Go for unit with a 500 amp rated shunt.

Renogy Battery Monitor with 500 ampere shunt is accurate if kept in parameter adjustment.

I’ll say from my Renogy river 20amp the readings aren’t worth it. You need to find the inaccuracy and modify battery settings accordingly. I just took these snap shots. My .24 to .50 amp load drawing a 1280wh / 100ah battery to 12.8 over night from 13.7? Doubtful.
I am currently debating myself which shunt to go with. I’d rather get one I can charge the battery to 100% and calibrate instead of need to draw down to low point.
My current set up. Renogy 100watt panel. About 25 feet of wire from panel to battery(total length) 1 ampere time 100ah battery and a renogy rover 20amp controller (Bluetooth is nice and lets you fully modify settings on user profile so you can fine tune for the battery.)

Part of my want to find a good monitor I do want to do one single test and verify the battery is providing the 100ah. As of now with the SCC reporting so much lower voltage from a minimal load over night is something I need to figure out before trusting my cpap for a full night 8 ish hours

0444D26B-A685-43DD-BE1C-C6DA2EA3F7FD.jpeg34F2B48F-890F-4B77-896B-DF7ABE7DECE5.jpeg2CC22887-A950-4A6E-8AC8-AA944FC74D8D.jpeg

Any opinion on Renogy vs AiLi? The Renogy is almost twice the price on Amazon.
I’m still debating BUT note the calibration. AILI seems to require starting at a discharged state, renogy says you can set at 100% state of charge test it and verify stays accurate, if not then they ALSO have a low state of charge calibration option

I’ll say from my Renogy river 20amp the readings aren’t worth it. You need to find the inaccuracy and modify battery settings accordingly. I just took these snap shots. My .24 to .50 amp load drawing a 1280wh / 100ah battery to 12.8 over night from 13.7? Doubtful.
I am currently debating myself which shunt to go with. I’d rather get one I can charge the battery to 100% and calibrate instead of need to draw down to low point.
My current set up. Renogy 100watt panel. About 25 feet of wire from panel to battery(total length) 1 ampere time 100ah battery and a renogy rover 20amp controller (Bluetooth is nice and lets you fully modify settings on user profile so you can fine tune for the battery.)

Part of my want to find a good monitor I do want to do one single test and verify the battery is providing the 100ah. As of now with the SCC reporting so much lower voltage from a minimal load over night is something I need to figure out before trusting my cpap for a full night 8 ish hours

View attachment 97387View attachment 97388View attachment 97389
I do like seeing my stats on the Bluetooth. Even if I am not sure how to interpret them.

I’m still debating BUT note the calibration. AILI seems to require starting at a discharged state, renogy says you can set at 100% state of charge test it and verify stays accurate, if not then they ALSO have a low state of charge calibration option
That's good to know. Thanks for the info.

I opted for a juntek clone from amazon for $79 (there are a few more for more$ they are all the KG140F model (current new is KL)

400 amp shunt w/bluetooth

A google of juntek (formally junctek, a funny story) + KG140F for sale will get ya the amazon link and review will get a bunch of youtube with a few showing setup

Last edited:
I do like seeing my stats on the Bluetooth. Even if I am not sure how to interpret them.
Yea that’s the one thing with the Rover 20amp I am a fan of the Bluetooth combo which I got. BUT another plus the load remote on off ability and up to 20 amps max can be used. I may use 10 total. Cpap and house lights. But from 260 feet away I am able to nail a signal to the rig and turn on or off the load. So data viewing and remote load switch. Renogy is almost solid, they need to find tune the voltage reading and really work on their apps. I’m almost looking at their BMS, but not 100% on its accuracy

Yea that’s the one thing with the Rover 20amp I am a fan of the Bluetooth combo which I got. BUT another plus the load remote on off ability and up to 20 amps max can be used. I may use 10 total. Cpap and house lights. But from 260 feet away I am able to nail a signal to the rig and turn on or off the load. So data viewing and remote load switch. Renogy is almost solid, they need to find tune the voltage reading and really work on their apps. I’m almost looking at their BMS, but not 100% on its accuracy
What to you attach to your load terminals? I have a 1000W inverter and a 12v fuse box coming off bus bars. I don't have anything on the load terminals. I couldn't figure out what would be useful to attach to the SCC for remote control.

The state of charge reading on the Renogy solar controller in very inaccurate.
The Renogy battery monitor with shunt is a totally different device.
The Aili is good for the cost but dont expect long life. You don't need to discharge the battery to calibrate.
Using the controller load terminals for inverter loads is not recommended, read the Instructions. It's intended for lighting loads, like roadway lighting.

Mike

What to you attach to your load terminals? I have a 1000W inverter and a 12v fuse box coming off bus bars. I don't have anything on the load terminals. I couldn't figure out what would be useful to attach to the SCC for remote control.
2 usb outlets and 1 12v power port and house lights.. it’s a mini egg. House lights all on I think was 1 amp(If memory serves me right lol) usb fan was .25 amp, cpap might be 80 watts max but I won’t run all options maybe 50 watts. For now that’s all I’m hooked up with. May add a bus bar and small inverter later. But keeping it super basic not a lot of needs. Power connections next to the 110 under sink (which won’t use no grey water tank lol)207E24C9-E12E-4CF4-8FB0-FE6525E0ABF9.jpeg868F65BB-444E-4760-9CD4-AB8DBDF551F8.jpeg

The state of charge reading on the Renogy solar controller in very inaccurate.
The Renogy battery monitor with shunt is a totally different device.
The Aili is good for the cost but dont expect long life. You don't need to discharge the battery to calibrate.
Using the controller load terminals for inverter loads is not recommended, read the Instructions. It's intended for lighting loads, like roadway lighting.

Mike

Haven’t done the cable management yet but since same location so was just swap controllers (previous owner installed previous system seen with the agm battery)
02B29E9A-42B0-48EA-AD89-9160D1A96AB7.jpeg7DD2BF9E-5BE9-4034-B494-552C17B01511.jpeg

Not yet, my battery arrives next thursday but all the youtubes I watched it does well
I've only seen one where it was actually tested and it was 4-5% high compared to Victron. Do you know of other tests?

I saw those, but unless I missed it their testing results consisted of "it works". They didn't test it for accuracy.

Back