diy solar

diy solar

Battery monitor reading?

Mickie

I bought a battery monitor as seen in the attached picture. I think the configuration is correct but for some reason the AH keeps going up ad it charges its as if its reading amp hours coming in from the charge controller. As my battery back is 200ah at 24v but ah on the shunt is now showing over 400. Would it make a difference if i removed the shunt from the same negative terminal as the charge controller and put it on a different negative?

Attachments

• 16804875742298150225079113745289.jpg
    16804875742298150225079113745289.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 21
Everything needs to go through the shunt (at the most forward connection in the picture)

There appears to be another cable on the negative of the rear battery, but the focus on the picture means I can't tell for sure.

Everything needs to go through the shunt (at the most forward connection in the picture)

There appears to be another cable on the negative of the rear battery, but the focus on the picture means I can't tell for sure.
The negative wire from the charge controller is connected to the battery on the same terminal as the shunt..

The negative wire from the charge controller is connected to the battery on the same terminal as the shunt..
Connected to the battery but not to the shunt?

The shunt should be wired up with only battery on one side and everything else on the other.

The white wire with the black tape is the negative charge coltroller wire.
You are saying that that white wire needs to also be at the front of the shunt?

Attachments

• 16804890519098368369255276167240.jpg
    16804890519098368369255276167240.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 7
The white wire with the black tape is the negative charge coltroller wire.
You are saying that that white wire needs to also be at the front of the shunt?
Yes, exactly that.
For the shunt to work, all energy (in both directions: charge and discharge) needs to go through the shunt. As it is, all the shunt sees is the discharge.

Yes, exactly that.
For the shunt to work, all energy (in both directions: charge and discharge) needs to go through the shunt. As it is, all the shunt sees is the discharge.
Thanks. did some research just now and realised .

The device you have is not a battery monitor. It cannot compute current direction, thus is not able to determine the true battery state.

Last edited:
Wow, if that thread is to believed, this meter belongs in the trash, not hooked up as I described.

Does anyone have experience with the TBD smart shunt?
Is it as good as the victron smart shunt or not good?

There exists a lot of experience and support for the Victron Smart Shunt. You get 5 years warranty and automatice updates ( if needed) with Victron
The TBD is a copy, even the diagrams are coppied from the Victron instructions. I suspect it cannot communicate with other Victron products

There exists a lot of experience and support for the Victron Smart Shunt. You get 5 years warranty and automatice updates ( if needed) with Victron
The TBD is a copy, even the diagrams are coppied from the Victron instructions. I suspect it cannot communicate with other Victron products

I dont have any victron product currently and there is still the fact that the victron costs more than double the cost of the TBD.

Back