diy solar

diy solar

Inverter reading voltage from charge controller not battery

Chrisjg1973

200 amp hour battery, 40 amp renogy charge controller, 1100watt inverter, 4 x 100 watt solar panels. The inverter is shutting down at times and showing low voltage, I noticed this only happens when the solar is connected and the voltage drops down. This doesn't happen when the solar is disconnected. It seems that the inverter is reading voltage from the charge controller and not the battery. I have a switch on the + battery lead then going to a bus bar. Everything is fused connected to bus bars. Could something be connected improperly?

Could something be connected improperly?
Yes, it sounds like something might be connected improperly. The battery and the charge controller should be at the same voltage, with the only difference being that when there's current flowing from the SCC to the battery, there will be a slight voltage drop and the SCC will report just a little higher than the battery.

It could be the battery internal protection is shutting down the battery. What charge voltages are you using and is the 200 Ah battery from Renogy?
It is a LiTime 200AH self heating battery, not sure what charge voltage I'm using, how do I find this?

, not sure what charge voltage I'm using, how do I find this?
It's the setting in the Renogy controller. If you have selected the lithium default, at 14.4 volts it may be too high. Many batteries have inbalanced cells and its possible, when the battery is neatfull charge, cell overvolts causes the battery to inhibit charging. The resultant voltage spike from the charge controller upsets the inverte.

Back