diy solar

diy solar

Battery monitor without a smart phone

Sadly, the Windows version of the VictronConnect software does not support bluetooth. It requires a wired VE.direct connection to connect to most devices. If you have a cerbo, I think it will connect to that with Wifi.

Yep, or through a VRM tunnel if the Cerbo has internet, and you're elsewhere with a PC with VC.

1682471241829.png

1682471261531.png

Google says the range of Bluetooth is 10 meters and WiFi is 100 meters.

When Starlink is active in my RV I have WiFi and Internet and my Victron system connects to the WiFi. But I still use Bluetooth to check the system. I haven't tried to connect to the Victron system through WiFi (without going through the Victron VRM site). I don't know if that would work or not, something I'll have to try.
bluetooth 5 is 100 ft

bluetooth 5 is 100 ft

Bluetooth 4 specification is up to 100m.

Bluetooth 5 specification is up to 500m.

Neither means that all devices will have the specified range.

The smartshunt is notorious for its short range. It's on the shunt itself, and the shunt is subject to electrical interference from induced magnetic fields and is often placed where a housing or enclosure further reduces its range.

"The shunt and the electric cables do negatively influence the range of the Bluetooth signal. The resulting range of 10-15 meter is however satisfactory in most cases. The proximity of other electrically conducting elements, such as the metal chassis of a vehicle or seawater around the hull if a boat, may reduce the range of the Bluetooth signal to an unacceptable level. The solution in such a case is to add a VE.Direct Bluetooth Dongle (ASS030536011) to the system, and to switch off Bluetooth in the SmartShunt. "

Before I go any further with this inquiry, I have to inform you that I do NOT own a "smart phone" of any kind.
I have a dumb flip phone, so this colors some of my solar product choices and influences my inquiries.
If you can afford victron stuff you can afford a $20 smart phone to keep in your box of tricks to use specifically for programming/monitoring.

I used to have one mounted on the wall next to my controllers used specifically for this purpose.

Since you will have the Victron mppt, I would get the Victron BMV712 (unless you are going to hook it all up to a Cerbo), that way the Victron devices can talk to each other.

The data exchanges between different Victron devices is awesome!

Get a tablet or old iPad for the Bluetooth stuff.

Back