diy solar

diy solar

1 Eg4 battery vs 4 LiTime

kwest364

I've got:
-Eg4-3000EHV-48 all in one
-4800Wh battery storage (4 x 12V @ 100Ah lithium from LiTime)
-1100W solar: 6 x 185W, going all series for ~ 220V PV input
-Victron lynx distributor
-Victron BMV-712 smart shunt

I'm going up to 48V system @ 100Ah with 4 x lithium batteries in series.

Considering selling my brand new, unopened 4 x Litime batteries and getting a 1 x 48V 5000Wh eg4 server rack battery.

Pros: easy, less wire/connections/fusing, simple communicates directly with eg4 aio and controls it, more efficient as 48v battery, can expand, no balancer needed

Cons: more $, less flexibility and redundancy than 4 batteries (but probably would never matter)

Does it eliminate need for Victron shunt? Since cable from eg4 battery to eg4 AIO is communicating and can give me same information, or not?

Still worth using BMV-712? I'm sure Victron probably gives more info, but as long as I know amps in and out and status of things, I'm good. And could save $ by selling shunt, still brand new in box as well.

Last edited:
The eg4 batteries have issues with small current draws. They don't register in it's BMS so the soc drifts from what it actually is. Definitely get a smartshunt or 712 if you go the eg4 route as it will detect even small loads.

The eg4 batteries have issues with small current draws. They don't register in it's BMS so the soc drifts from what it actually is. Definitely get a smartshunt or 712 if you go the eg4 route as it will detect even small loads.
Guess I'll keep my 712 then.

Thoughts on single server rack vs 4 batteries?

Guess I'll keep my 712 then.

Thoughts on single server rack vs 4 batteries?
I'll be putting them into series for 48V this weekend. Currently have two seried for a 24V battery to extend my Delta 2 max runtime and have the other 12s used for extending runtime on ecoflow river 2s etc.

You wouldn't want to hit the BMS low voltage cutoff on one when running four in series, tho with the 712 you can leave a safety margin in terms of capacity to avoid that. You could use external balancer or see how they go for a bit and check individual voltages.

Personally I hate series batteries. They may need more babysitting to keep them equal voltage vs a single 48v that has a BMS to keep all the cells happy.

And I guess I don't see any redundancy there either. If one breaks, you can't run your 48V inverter from 36V of battery.

I'll be using battery balancer.

And yes, losing 1 battery, I meant I could potentially finnagle something for 24v or 12v, still have some sort of power, but moreso, I'd just repair it or replace and get 48V system up and running vs a macgyver situation with 1-3 batteries which can't run my aio anyways. Redundancy wasn't the word to use.

Back