diy solar

diy solar

Battery monitor without a smart phone

Wilderness Guy

I'm in the process of researching the various components for brand new solar gear and six 144 Watt (6 amp each) solar panels are on the way for a 2S3P array. I've purchased a couple 12V Battleborn LiFePO4 batteries and intend to get 2 more to set up a 24 Volt battery array. I've also purchased but have not yet received a Victron MPPT 150V 35 amp 12/24 Volt Solar Charge Controller.

I watched Will's YouTube video on "Victron Made Easy! Design and Communication, Step-by-Step" with interest.

Before I go any further with this inquiry, I have to inform you that I do NOT own a "smart phone" of any kind.
I have a dumb flip phone, so this colors some of my solar product choices and influences my inquiries.

In my research on battery monitors, it looks like all of the Victron battery monitors require a "smart phone". In regard to the Victron Smart Shunt 500 AMP Bluetooth Battery Monitor, one of its reviewers said that he preferred his Victron Energy BMV-712 Smart Battery Monitor because it didn't require Bluetooth which so many reviewers complained about its short range of 12' or less. Well, I don't have a smart phone at all, but when I view a photo of the BMV-712
"Smart" Battery Monitor, it displays something that looks like a smart phone next to the round monitor. Does this mean that a "Smart" something comes with the monitor ? Does this mean that I don't actually need a "smart phone" to use the BMV-712 ?

FYI, I've also been reviewing non-Victron battery monitors such as the WonVon 100A Smart Battery Monitor. Although the WonVon has "Smart" in its name, the device seems to have its own display that displays about anything I would want to know -- and at a much lower price than the BMV-712. The only concern I might have with the WonVon is that its writeup says it should be used when the temperature range is below 120 degrees F. I would be installing it in a shed with a metal roof where the overhead sun likely makes the temperature inside the shed is likely to be 120 degrees or higher during mid-day. Is there a similar limit on the working temperature environment for the Victron BMV-712 ?

Thanks in advance !

I look forward to being educated about battery monitors.

Does this mean that a "Smart" something comes with the monitor ? Does this mean that I don't actually need a "smart phone" to use the BMV-712 ?
The 712 has its own little display that plugs into the shunt. (I forget how long the cable is). You do not have to have a smartphone, but it can talk to a smart phone.

Since you won't be using the bluetooth functionality, you may want to consider one of the other victron BMV70x models. Depending on how you wire the batteries, you might want to consider the BMV 702 so you can monitor the center point voltage.

This blog talks about the various models

The BMV range consists of products with BMV-7 in the model name; earlier versions had a 6 prefix. Below I highlight the differences between the various current models – so you can be sure you choose the right one for your application and budget. The range consists of:
  • BMV-712 Smart (6.5 – 95 V, 1 – 9999 Ah, Bluetooth built-in, Auxiliary input)
The models below, without Bluetooth built-in, we collectively refer to as the BMV-700 series:
  • BMV-702 (6.5 – 95 V, 1 – 9999 Ah, Auxiliary input)
  • BMV-702 [Black] (6.5 – 95 V, 1 – 9999 Ah, Auxiliary input)
  • BMV-700 (6.5 – 95 V, 1 – 9999 Ah)
  • BMV-700H (60 – 385 V, 1 – 9999 Ah)

Last edited:
I'd check with your friends and relatives to see if any have an old iPhone with a dead battery or other problem. You don't need cell service/plan, just need wifi to download an app, once. You don't need a good battery if you have power near your SCC.

There are millions of old phones looking for a new use!
Thank you. Your remark that "You don't need cell service/plan" is very useful. I'll check around with my friends about a used iPhone.

I don't suppose anyone knows of a quality battery monitor that will send the data to my PC and provides an app that would display the data there ?

Not sure if this makes a difference for you but you can access it with bluetooth on a Mac or Windows machine as well.

Thank you. Your remark that "You don't need cell service/plan" is very useful. I'll check around with my friends about a used iPhone.

I don't suppose anyone knows of a quality battery monitor that will send the data to my PC and provides an app that would display the data there ?
Solar Assistant provides a system monitor but if you are looking for something like cell data, you won't get that with Battleborn. To use Solar Assistant I recommend the Victron Smart Shunt.

Last edited:
The length of the cable that comes with the Victron BMV-712 is 10 meters. The Bluetooth range on it is very good. As said already, pick up a used device with Bluetooth. Almost any Android device will work. Heck, a tablet is easier to read than a smart phone. A laptop can also be used.

I'm in the process of researching the various components for brand new solar gear and six 144 Watt (6 amp each) solar panels are on the way for a 2S3P array. I've purchased a couple 12V Battleborn LiFePO4 batteries and intend to get 2 more to set up a 24 Volt battery array. I've also purchased but have not yet received a Victron MPPT 150V 35 amp 12/24 Volt Solar Charge Controller.

I watched Will's YouTube video on "Victron Made Easy! Design and Communication, Step-by-Step" with interest.

Before I go any further with this inquiry, I have to inform you that I do NOT own a "smart phone" of any kind.
I have a dumb flip phone, so this colors some of my solar product choices and influences my inquiries.

In my research on battery monitors, it looks like all of the Victron battery monitors require a "smart phone". In regard to the Victron Smart Shunt 500 AMP Bluetooth Battery Monitor, one of its reviewers said that he preferred his Victron Energy BMV-712 Smart Battery Monitor because it didn't require Bluetooth which so many reviewers complained about its short range of 12' or less. Well, I don't have a smart phone at all, but when I view a photo of the BMV-712
"Smart" Battery Monitor, it displays something that looks like a smart phone next to the round monitor. Does this mean that a "Smart" something comes with the monitor ? Does this mean that I don't actually need a "smart phone" to use the BMV-712 ?

FYI, I've also been reviewing non-Victron battery monitors such as the WonVon 100A Smart Battery Monitor. Although the WonVon has "Smart" in its name, the device seems to have its own display that displays about anything I would want to know -- and at a much lower price than the BMV-712. The only concern I might have with the WonVon is that its writeup says it should be used when the temperature range is below 120 degrees F. I would be installing it in a shed with a metal roof where the overhead sun likely makes the temperature inside the shed is likely to be 120 degrees or higher during mid-day. Is there a similar limit on the working temperature environment for the Victron BMV-712 ?

Thanks in advance !

I look forward to being educated about battery monitors.
Buy a smart phone …buy Victron …easy fix…once your up and running you will be glad you did.?

My $.02 is that I have no battery monitor (gasp!!!!). And heck - my system is working. I monitor my AIO and have multimeters and check my batteries.

I took an looking at various battery monitors with shunts but being cheap (can I have my $.02 back please) I am exercising the internet searching out various battery (current) monitors especially Bluetooth or wifi enabled. And I will select non "smart" devices to be installed as well.

Don't get too hung up on data unless somehow you need to justify your solar journey.

The victron monitors are fine.

I routinely use these from bogart engineering. I think he was the originator of the concept but not 100% sure.

They are commonly used in RVs and conversion vans.

You won't need the solar charge controller since you already have that from victron so just buy the monitor.

It has a built in display and you can also look at the info via a tablet or phone.

The WiFi unit broadcast the info to any web browser on any OS / any device, which I like because I don't like phone applications.

I just buy a simple $100 tablet at target, set it up for the customers with the info, and then hand it to them to use with it. The WiFi has pretty long range vs blue tooth.

Last edited:
Google says the range of Bluetooth is 10 meters and WiFi is 100 meters.

When Starlink is active in my RV I have WiFi and Internet and my Victron system connects to the WiFi. But I still use Bluetooth to check the system. I haven't tried to connect to the Victron system through WiFi (without going through the Victron VRM site). I don't know if that would work or not, something I'll have to try.

Google says the range of Bluetooth is 10 meters and WiFi is 100 meters.

When Starlink is active in my RV I have WiFi and Internet and my Victron system connects to the WiFi. But I still use Bluetooth to check the system. I haven't tried to connect to the Victron system through WiFi (without going through the Victron VRM site). I don't know if that would work or not, something I'll have to try.
It does. The Cerbo can create its own access point and you connect to that and point your browser to it when connected to it. No internet involved.

Not sure if this makes a difference for you but you can access it with bluetooth on a Mac or Windows machine as well.
My HP laptop with Windows-11 has bluetooth, but don't you need to download an app to receive and display the data ? The info about the BMV-712 says you'd have to download an app to the smartphone in order to display the data. An app for a smartphone won't run on a PC because they have different hardware and a different operating system. I'd need an app written to run on a PC. Does such a PC compatible app exist ?

My HP laptop with Windows-11 has bluetooth, but don't you need to download an app to receive and display the data ? The info about the BMV-712 says you'd have to download an app to the smartphone in order to display the data. An app for a smartphone won't run on a PC because they have different hardware and a different operating system. I'd need an app written to run on a PC. Does such a PC compatible app exist ?
Yes, see https://www.victronenergy.com/panel-systems-remote-monitoring/victronconnect/downloads
which give you links to the Android, iOS, macOS, and Windows VictronConnect software.

Back