diy solar

diy solar

Battery Questions

Lotus_Eater

I'm new to batteries (having had just a couple of grid-tie systems so far). I currently have a SUN2000 inverter & I'm looking at adding a LUNAR2000 5kw battery. My current grid-tie system (in Portugal) doesn't pay for extra kw's they get from my spill over, they just take it, and they do charge you when the system is not generating for anything used at normal rates (rip off, I know).

So I'm looking at a battery as we are generating way more KW's than we use on a one for one basis, but only get to use half of them because of time & power peak issues as you'd expect. My questions are around how the battery will work. For example; if the battery is fully charged, my system is generating 2kw, but my draw is 3.5kw, will the battery supply the extra? or will that come from the grid anyway?

The other question is; how does a battery like this charge? Does it take anything we are generating but not using and store it? Or does it do just a "dumb" charge and take whatever from wherever until it's full? (hope that makes sense?).

I'm trying to figure out if adding the battery will allow us to use everything we make, or if there are still going to be times when we'll need to pull from the grid anyway which obviously takes away from the attractiveness of a battery costing almost $4k.

I've looked at the manufacturers info but it doesn't seem to cover these questions. I guess they are too rudimentary perhaps, but I don't know the answers so I would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance for any help.

LE

Back