diy solar

diy solar

Intro and some basic questions of strategy

buck1s

I've been reading the forums for a couple of weeks, so I didn't come in here and ask the most obviously answered questions a million times over. But...I still might do it accidentally. :)

I live in central VA and have had a couple of strings of panels on my roof for about 10 years now (~6.4 KW). I have that era of a commensurate Sunny Boy inverter. In the best case, I produce 30-40% of my energy needs a day. We have net metering here (straight offset), no TOU pricing. So, there's not much return to be had by adding battery based storage. Outages typically last a few hours 2-3 times a year. Winter and summer storms can produce 3-4 day outages, though they don't happen often.

For outages currently, I have a subpanel containing circuits I can run off my gasoline generator (8kw continuous) that I plug into a L14-30R in the garage. Panel and subpanel are in the basement on the other side of the house. Subpanel contains a few lights & outlets, septic pump, septic alarm, and well pump. Everything works fine, but I hate keeping fresh gas, maintaining the genny, periodic startup/running, and finally getting it out and using it when our typical outage is a few hours. Oh, and the noise for longer periods.

So, I want to eliminate it. Two options are: 1) replace Sunny Boy with grid tied AIO and a small amount of battery storage, and 2) build "hand cart" portable system that plugs into the L14-30R. In either case, the batteries won't be called on very much unless I designed them to be responsible for some load in option #1. I realize this system will likely start out by only covering the short outage case. #2 option is attractive because I can probably do it myself.

What are the ramifications of not cycling the battery very regularly? How do folks who have tried option #2 keep their batteries "healthy"? Is there some other reasonable option that I'm not thinking of?

I'm sure that I've missed something but appreciate all your thoughts.

Option 3 could be to add a battery inverter large enough to AC couple the entire Sunny Boy system to keep it active when there is a grid outage.

Cell balance and occasional top offs if you go with a lithium pack would be my only concerns, but I might be missing something. If you go with a lead battery bank, I'm not sure what long term storage looks like. Probably just checking water and occasional recharges.

That could be an add on to option 2 as well. Thanks for the idea. In all of my reading, I still haven't come across anything succinct about keeping batteries as healthy as possible. Or if one should try to set up use for them where they cycle regularly.

For the portable option, I'm really just interested in the one or two batteries fully charged for when they're needed in an outage. Otherwise, they won't be used.

It's hard to tell if it would be worth it to get a much more sophisticated AIO between the meter and my panels, and let it manage everything. Not something I can likely do myself either.

Back