diy solar

diy solar

Battery Strategy

tmprof

1. Do you try to keep at a higher SOC in case of a power outage?
2. Do you try to maximize the usage of all stored energy so only charge when at a low SOC?

Currently, I only have 12 panels and is not enough to power my whole house so inevitably my battery can never catch up without grid power (It's more stressful than I thought it'd be). Currently I'm charging for 1 hour in the early morning hours to get them up to 95% and then let the panels charge during the day as well as power the home as much as they can.

How do you manage yours?

-Troy

You're in the early stages.
You shouldn't be powering all loads, yet.
I have enough solar and battery for my currently connected loads. (70% of the property, so far)
Batteries are full by noon. And can last several days of bad weather.
Just keep adding to your system, and you'll get there eventually.

Reactions: JRH
Mine are AGM, so keep at float except when grid is down.

Load shed. Control signals to say when SoC gets lower, disconnect excessive loads.
Dump load. Control signal when PV production is being curtailed because battery charging and loads aren't using all, can turn on something like water heater.

Other people here get weather predictions telling system to top up battery because PV production is going to drop. Or power failure could occur.

With time of use grid rates, that could direct charge vs. discharge.

My system is small and just 1.4Kw of solar and 800Ah of LFP batteries but runs everything at my cabin. That is actually 3 separate systems with the main system charging a 400Ah LFP and 2 recharging stations with 200AH battery and power station.

I run a business online so I need my laptop and hotspot wifi on 24/7 and two 12/24 volt fridge/freezers run all the time.

Other than that I don't have any continuous loads.

On good sunny days the batteries charge by 10Am in summer and by noon in winter from night use.

Then I use the excess for charging an ebike, electric mower, evap cooler, running the washer and microwave in summer or electric snow blower in winter. I recharge several small power stations for backup on low sun days and camping.

I try to get that excess power use done and still have a couple hours for the batts to recharge before night time and I like full batteries to start the night in case the next day isn't sunny and my system will handle 3 days or more with low sun. Then the extra power stations come out and I start reducing load.

Back