diy solar

diy solar

Get a big battery

Yep, it was too expensive for the time even though it had none of the mechanical issues of gas motors.

I suspect that when big oil decided gas cars would be huge revenue they killed off the EV then like they did for many years.

I like the design of the Waverly and could be a project with some Ebike hub motors and controls I no longer need.
in 1905 electricity to charge the Waverly would only be available in big cities, but gasoline (like today) is energy dense and easier to depoly where it was needed. In 1905, before cars became widespread, people lived close to where they worked, and didn't even see a need for a car.
Standard Oil was broken up by the US Supreme court in 1911 as an anti monopoly measure. one of the many resulting "smaller" firms later became Exxon-mobile (LOL)

in 1905 electricity to charge the Waverly would only be available in big cities, but gasoline (like today) is energy dense and easier to depoly where it was needed. In 1905, before cars became widespread, people lived close to where they worked, and didn't even see a need for a car.
Standard Oil was broken up by the US Supreme court in 1911 as an anti monopoly measure. one of the many resulting "smaller" firms later became Exxon-mobile (LOL)
A lot of bigger cities had electric street cars back then so people didn't need a car.

Seems we have come full circle!

A lot of bigger cities had electric street cars back then so people didn't need a car.

Seems we have come full circle!
My home town had an electic railway connecting three close towns together in 1906 - the story when I was a kid was that the Silver found in the area "paid for the electric railway" but it was actually the blasting (to build the level way for the trains) that lead to the discovery of the Silver. It must have been quite a sight to see an electric train in Northern Ontario back in the early 1900's, when canoes and mules were likely more common transportation.

Great thread for this newbie ..... consumption & production info is golden. My 'phase 1' has been to reduce consumption as much as practicable. Switched to a variable speed pool pump, induction cook top and scored a clearance isle last-year's model 80g heat pump water heater for less than the cost of a standard 50g electric (woohoo!). Result has been about 40% reduction in electric bill thus far. Solar price / watt continues to fall as does battery storage. Throw in a few tax incentives and I am excited for the future!

Yeah, we should contribute to deforestation instead.
Wood burning VW.

If you have your own wood lot it might work but smoke and toxins from burning wood are not great either.

Pretty hard to get away from diminishing a resource or polluting the environment regardless of the source of energy.

If it grows back or can be recycled then at least we are trying.

Wood burning VW.

If you have your own wood lot it might work but smoke and toxins from burning wood are not great either.

Pretty hard to get away from diminishing a resource or polluting the environment regardless of the source of energy.

If it grows back or can be recycled then at least we are trying.
And we never address the root of the problem: 8 billion monkeys is just too many monkeys.

And we never address the root of the problem: 8 billion monkeys is just too many monkeys.
Well, the scientists say low reproduction to replace working people and too many people living too long using resources is more of a problem than over population.

I am not recommending soylent green mentality and at 60 I do whatever I can to reduce my own burden on society and the environment.

Well, the scientists say low reproduction to replace working people and too many people living too long using resources is more of a problem than over population.

I am not recommending soylent green mentality and at 60 I do whatever I can to reduce my own burden on society and the environment.
Good, then it should come crashing down sooner rather than later.

Them scientists need to watch the nature channel, what happens to wildlife, what happened to previous great civilizations.

I say they are full of bunk.

Any problem with insufficient working people is actually a problem of too many leaches, and a top-heavy government.

I have kids and grandkids. I would like to have a better planet and environment for them to inherit and have their chance at life.
We all are someone's kIds and grandkids. That doesn't mean we should keep increasing the population. Imagine how safe and clean our planet would be if we got the population down to a more reasonable 5 or 6 hundred dozen.

We all are someone's kIds and grandkids. That doesn't mean we should keep increasing the population. Imagine how safe and clean our planet would be if we got the population down to a more reasonable 5 or 6 hundred dozen.
First of all it's too late. We are already all dead because the population exploded and we can't feed ourselves, just as predicted in the 70's. Actuarial's already show birthrates over much of the modern world are below 2.0. Fortunately, many of the people not reproducing are people that shouldn't anyway. The problem is government revenue comes mostly from younger working people. Ponzi schemes like SS banked on the fact that there were more young working people than old non-working ones. This means that as there are fewer and fewer working people paying for the aging and not dying population this creates an interesting dynamic where government has to figure out how to get the money to pay for the old people.

Back