diy solar

diy solar

Battery Stacking

Neon

Due to the limited space I have available in a compartment bay of my RV, I have to stack my batteries as shown below. I am trying to understand the best way to separate the batteries (if I separate them at all).

I am installing (4) SOK 206Ah batteries, that weigh around 48 lbs. each and have metal cases. I would like some opinions regarding what I should place between the batteries

A - Bottom, sitting on the floor of the compartment
B - Between the top and the bottom batteries
C - Between the batteries

The options I am thinking is either 1/16" to 1/2" adhesive neoprene sponge foam padding. My thoughts are, too much padding would allow movement between the batteries. Too little padding may cause damage.

I would love some thoughts and/or suggestions.
Battery Stacking.png

I agree with checking with SOK.

If you’ve seen some tear down and build videos, not all batteries are built secure and tilting would cause problems.

Lack of anything else, I’d try to fab a shelf for each battery. Take the load off the bottom battery.

You will need to think about insulating the floor of the compartment before you install the batteries.
I would put something in between, just to keep them from rubbing the paint off and causing any metal to metal contact. I'd want something in there to keep them from rubbing.

From what I have read, the SOK’s can be positioned on their sides.
What did you read and where? I would be extremely cautious even considering it. There are quite a few horror stories that can be found in this forum related to putting prismatic cells on their sides. The SOK batteries use prismatic cells.

What about staggering them so they can be stacked standing up? You would of course have to secure them to ensure they dont slide forward into the terminals of the ones they sit on.

Another suggestion, lifepo4 is considered safe for habitable space. what about putting them inside and wiring them down to the main bus connects?

Rubber horse mat from tractor supply or the like. You can get 1/4 or 1/2" iirc. It's tough, slip resistant and would provide some degree of padding/insulation between packs.

Not sure how definitive it is:

Can the battery be installed on its side?

Absolutely! With no acid or venting, this battery can be installed in any configuration except for upside-down (terminals facing down).

Not sure how definitive it is:

Can the battery be installed on its side?

Absolutely! With no acid or venting, this battery can be installed in any configuration except for upside-down (terminals facing down).
I can tell you right now that information is likely incorrect. some prismatic mfgs say you can install their batteries on their sides, but are very specific to say which side you may lay them on, as laying them certain ways will starve the internal material of electrolyte.

That being said, these cells have been known to leak electrolyte. Even though it is not "acid", it is still a toxic and dangerous substance for humans to come into contact with. Be very cautious and try to find authoritative sources. CurrentConnected is not authoritative.

According to the SOK Facebook group - their official support method - any orientation except terminals down. Apparently, it's asked a ridiculous number of times.
They do not make the cells, they assemble them into battery packs. It may be that SOK believes that, or that whomever is responding to their facebook page believes that, but that does not make it true or accurate. There has been plenty of discussion on this forum about this very subject. There have been plenty of horror stories about this very subject, including coming from @Will Prowse himself. I urge Op to use due diligence and dig deeper.

While there is ample evidence of the potential for prismatic cells to leak (Lishen/big battery), has there ever been a documented case with SOK batteries?
SOK is not a cell manufacturer. they use prismatic cells just like big battery used. Whether those issues were isolated only to Lishen cells, I cannot speak to. Whether SOK does or does not use Lishen branded cells, i cannot speak to. Personally, I would not want to find out as a guinea pig. Can any of the cell manufacturers provide long term tested documentation that their cells do not leak over the projected life span of their batteries when placed on their sides (authoritative evidence)? When I have seen it verified through documented testing, I will no longer caution others against it, and might be willing to do so should the need arise myself. Until then, buyer beware.

Last edited:
I once saw an explanation in LiFePO4 Battery Compression, maybe you can refer to it.
a bump on this thread because "dam its good"

Back