diy solar

diy solar

Battery Weight over Floor joists

sten

Maybe i'm being pedantic but should i worry about 4-48kg batteries + the weight of the server rack on my floor? ~ 500lbs worse case on 4 castor wheels.

Joists are 2x10s 16oc with about a 10 foot span - I can measure for sure for the span if its close.

Should i be at all concerned?

Thanks!

Nothing to worry about, especially if it is near a wall. The castors will create point loads so it is more of an issue of the subfloor between the joists. I piece of 3/4 inch plywood would help spread the load if you see any distortion.

@a
The castors will create point loads so it is more of an issue of the subfloor between the joists. I piece of 3/4 inch plywood would help spread the load if you see any distortion.
Yeah ok that too, was looking at them and thats a heavy load on those little wheels. 3/4 plywood it is

2x10, 16OC is well within the code and you should not have any issues if you have 3/4" Plywood subfloor. Depending on your floor covering (think vinyl / lino) the casters themselves may leave a bit of an indent after a while, that's about it, which I don't consider a problem.

Is this a first-floor or second-floor installation? Is there a crawl-space under your battery location? For my own installation, when I build my utility room, I cast a T in my footer to directly support the floor joists with concrete in the area where the batteries would be located.

If there is a crawl space, and you want to go to the effort, you could drag a concrete block under the floor and block it in place. Going into the crawl-space though is nothing I'd ever look forward to.

Is this a first-floor or second-floor installation? Is there a crawl-space under your battery location? For my own installation, when I build my utility room, I cast a T in my footer to directly support the floor joists with concrete in the area where the batteries would be located.

If there is a crawl space, and you want to go to the effort, you could drag a concrete block under the floor and block it in place. Going into the crawl-space though is nothing I'd ever look forward to.
Im in FL on stilts, but im working on a electrical shed so eventually itll go away

Maybe i'm being pedantic but should i worry about 4-48kg batteries + the weight of the server rack on my floor? ~ 500lbs worse case on 4 castor wheels.

Joists are 2x10s 16oc with about a 10 foot span - I can measure for sure for the span if its close.

Should i be at all concerned?

Thanks!
I could do the calculations for you but straight out you are talking about the weight of two adults and structurally your floor most certainly can take that. Without even looking at the stress grade of your floor joists at a 10 ft span they wouldn’t even have any spring in them let alone be close to failing. 192 kg is 423lbs.

Install your batteries then jump up and down on the floor. If it gives way then you know it didn’t work ;).

Back