diy solar

diy solar

Battleborn four BB10012 battery bank failure

Wtf? This is an asinine reason for a company to not warranty something. I can’t understand why Battle born would do this. Even a $300 chins battery can get replacement due to a manufacture defect.

This is why the battleborn guy told me they will not grant warranty if this happens with my new batteries. Only one explanation: they know it's a known issue, manufacturing defect and probably don't wan't to be responsible.

Took me some time to find this pic of my battery package devices and wire. In 2019 when I built this really compact 3P 12v BB battery package (to fit in a really small tight space, the generator compartment of my old Lance Y2k camper) this is how I stacked the wire lugs on the the battery terminals.
First note that all the wire lugs are on one side of the battery lug. The only current flowing thru the lug is the current assoc with the one battery. Current thru resistance causes heating. By limiting the current flowing thru the lug to that one batteries charge or discharge current, less heat is generated at the lug. Current from other two batteries does not flow from one side of the battery lug to the other. Current along with resistance creates the localized heat in the battery lug and wire terminals.

Front

View attachment 163726

Side

View attachment 163727

Other Side

View attachment 163728
All great points. BB post design inside the battery doesn’t help either. Having plastic sandwished between two pieces of metal and all the current going through a bolt I think is the main problem.

Good deal. Thank you. This is why the battleborn guy told me they will not grant warranty if this happens with my new batteries. Only one explanation: they know it's a known issue, manufacturing defect and probably don't wan't to be responsible.
I fell sorry for all the people that bought what they thought were high end products with great warranty to find out their battery is not much better than a cheap one, at 3 times the price I would expect more from bb

Big time design flaw. The plastic will flow and run over time and then the bolt will start heating up which will start melting the plastic which will make it looser which will make the bolt hotter etc

Is it a manufacturer defect or a design flaw?

IMO looks more like a design flaw.

Agreed. But either way, isn’t this what warranties are for?

I mean if Toyota had a run of cars where during the manufacturing they forgot to tighten down the brake caliper bolts, how long would their reputation last if they refused to fix this under warranty?

In this case of the Battle Born batteries, this is a major quality control factor. Am I misunderstanding and misrepresenting here? As I understand it, the main terminal bolts are coming loose from the main cables internally, under high vibration…is this a valid summary? Because why didn’t they use some thread locker to prevent this?

i just purchased this (i'm in Canada)
the BMS is replaceable if it fails
hopefully i never need to see how their 10 year warranty works
not cheap
they do say resistant to vibrations
also compatible with Victron
I haven’t heard of this brand before. First glance is it looks decent and is a good price per Wh. If I needed a 300Ah 12v, I’d research this one more. Wish I had bought a battery with a replaceable BMS…if mine fails, hopefully it’s in the next 5 years while still under warranty.

In this case of the Battle Born batteries, this is a major quality control factor. Am I misunderstanding and misrepresenting here? As I understand it, the main terminal bolts are coming loose from the main cables internally, under high vibration…is this a valid summary?
Almost, vibration may add to the issue but it can still show up with no vibration.
The plastic is just soft and will flow over time, as does aluminium.

Almost, vibration may add to the issue but it can still show up with no vibration.
The plastic is just soft and will flow over time, as does aluminium.

Huh. Seems like a retail death wish. The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

How then did the double nuts fail to secure the joint?
Perhaps the nuts didn’t fail or loosen but a gap formed? Dissimilar metals? No antioxidant? Reactive substance on surfaces before assembly? Who knows? From from what I’ve seen on low prep, temporary connections, nothing surprises me much anymore.

Back