diy solar

diy solar

Beginner - solar/alternator excess power water tank heating question

Vision.Urban.Reed

Screenshot 2022-12-12 at 12.41.26.png
I am reading related posts on this concept as I post this, as I clarify my understanding, I will remove this beginner post. I am mostly wondering about using the hot water reservoir as an accumulator of sorts, or if I should move the cold line accumulator back in the chain to after the pump and before the split. I am using a victron MPPT 12v 30 amp unit, with 460w solar, and a victron orion 12/12/18 charger

An AC thermostat switch should not be used for DC. It can weld shut. You might get by with it at only 12v but I would use some other way to switch DC to a heater.

You will need a control system or a charging system that has switching for transferring load after the battery is charged.....if that is your only concern about putting the power the water heater. From what I understand, you also want to heat the water when you want a shower, which can't depend on "excess" from solar. I have no RV experience, but heating water takes a lot of energy. Depending on tank size, you might need hours to heat from solar, depending on what panels you have connected.

An AC thermostat switch should not be used for DC. It can weld shut. You might get by with it at only 12v but I would use some other way to switch DC to a heater.

You will need a control system or a charging system that has switching for transferring load after the battery is charged.....if that is your only concern about putting the power the water heater. From what I understand, you also want to heat the water when you want a shower, which can't depend on "excess" from solar. I have no RV experience, but heating water takes a lot of energy. Depending on tank size, you might need hours to heat from solar, depending on what panels you have connected.
Thank you, I shall heed this 230v vs 12v switch advice.
As to the automatic transferring of excess energy to different destinations, there is a built in relay on this victron battery management device that I am learning about right now, I am figuring out a way to set it up right now. I am thinking this: once a certain state of charge or voltage has been reached on the LiFePo4 battery, I would figure out a solution to switch over to heating the water tank.

That still leaves your point about generating hot water for showers on demand. Great point. I guess it's time to go down another rabbit hole

Back