diy solar

diy solar

Best Octopus Tariff

Nev_13

Hi,

Just had Solar PV installed (16 panels 6kw and 15kw battery storage). Before I start building spreadsheets I wondered if anyone who has had a solar for awhile had a good view on the best tariff options from Octopus. From what I can see the Flux tariff offers a better export rate but only over 3hrs whereas combining Intelligent Octopus EV for Import with their fixed tariff for export gives a lower export rate but a longer off peak period. Guessing the answer the test and learn....there isn't one size that fits all, but wondered if people could share what worked best for them in terms of which tariff and when to discharge the battery to the grid and sell back to the grid.

Thanks in advance

I'm not up to date on tariffs in the UK, but there is a YTer "Electric Vehicle Man" who has a large battery and solar (and EV) and has several videos discussing which tariff is better and has an Excel sheet to help you calculate the right one. This is probably a good start:

I'm on Agile for import and Fixed for export. Without an EV Agile generally works out cheapest, with the occasional bonus day when import prices drop very low or even below zero. Some people with EVs do use Agile. They tend to have a lower mileage and don't need to top it up every day. They love the negative prices when they occur.

There are Apps, like Octopus Compare that can work out what your cost would have been on each tariff. There is a small monthly charge for that one.

I am on intelligent octopus go for import and British gas for deemed export (4 KW system installed under FiT). We have overnight storage heaters and a hybrid EV, so it works better for us. 14.3 KW of battery, with another 14.3 waiting to be connected up

In our region during the winter period, we often got up to three hours of free electricity to help balance the grid, we were informed 24 hours in advance which allowed me to programme the inverter to add additional charge to the battery, immersion heater and run the washer etc all for free during that period.

The only change I may consider would be to move from the deemed export to actual export to sell my solar generated power back to the grid under the FiT scheme, but I will add more solar first on a non grid tie basis.

I'm on Flux for both import and export. No EV and a fairly low typical house draw. 3kWp and 7kWh.
During summer I dump a fair chunk during that 3 hour period, in winter I top off during the night. Home Assistant.

I've occasionally thought of going to Agile but the automation would be a lot more complex - I'd have to dig out the ancient control-theory stuff on optimal control systems.

diy solar

diy solar
Back