diy solar

diy solar

What's the maximum kW your DNO allows you to export? (U.K. only question)

SenileOldGit

Solar Enthusiast
I've pretty much given up the idea of exporting to the grid, because Octopus used to offer 25p per kWh, but now they are only offering 15p per kWh, and I am wondering how many kW the National Grid (my DNO) would allow me to export. I can do around 10kW for much of the day on a sunny day in Summer, so maybe over 100kWh per day, but I'd have to buy an export capable inverter first, and I'm not sure that the 15p per kWh rate will last with Octopus.

How many kW does your DNO allow you to export (in the U.K.)?

How far you can go over the G98 3.68kw is determined by the local infrastructure ie the local transformer, if there are a lot of G98's already registered on your local transformer then they may calc that other a G98 3.68kw you cannot export any more. So its a 'It Depends' job. On the basis I do want a smart meter I stick to G98 but actually divert my excess to hot water. I keep my other inverters off grid charging batteries and go totally off grid as the sun allows or in Winter keep the batteries topped up for power outages.

I thought octopus has just increased their SEG rates? If you can export 100kw per day I assume it's more than just a standard domestic array.... is that why it's a 15p rate ?

I thought octopus has just increased their SEG rates? If you can export 100kw per day I assume it's more than just a standard domestic array.... is that why it's a 15p rate ?
I don't know what the Octopus SEG rate is now. It used to be the default 4.01p. But that was if you only had export with Octopus and your Import was with someone else. For regular Octopus customers Octopus Outgoing has a 15p rate. Octopus Flux can be better with different rates depending on the time of day and your area. Flux won't work on my meter due to technicalities at the moment, so the best I can get is Outgoing's 15p for now.

I would be using a G99, I have a 12kW array. So I have plenty of spare electricity in the Summer - probably over 50kWh spare a day on a sunny day. I'm only asking for the future - at the moment it's not financially worth it for me to buy a new, export capable inverter (this will be just under £2,000) if I can only export 3kW, rather than 10kW.
The initial Octopus rate that I saw earlier this year was 25p per kWh, now it's down to 15p per kWh.

My original post was asking members here, in the U.K., how many kW they are allowed to export, so I can get an idea of how much I am likely to be able to export, IF I ever decide to go down that route. Are there any U.K. members here who export to the grid? How many kW are you allowed to export?

According to Octopus there is no limit.

Is there a limit to the amount of electricity I can export?​

Not allowed to copy the answer but it says you are only limited by the size of the supply fuse

All subject to change and interpretation no doubt.

I said kW, not kWh, i.e. what is the maximum kW I can export from my 12kW array? But thanks for checking.

No, it's nothing to do with the size of my array, I haven't asked my DNO or Octopus if I can export yet, my inverters are off grid only anyway. It's 15p for everybody.

Is anybody able to answer the title of this thread?

Why not ask the DNO?
As all DNO's are separate entities, they probably have different amounts, which may even vary within their supply area due to infrastructure

I export to the grid. I have a 3kW inverter with 3kW G98. I am allowed to export 3kW. I have managed about 2.750kW max.

But G98 is fairly unlikely to be refused or restricted. Your G99 application may be restricted depending on the infrastructure and the number of existing Generation units (PV and other) in your area - too much export can push the grid voltage too high.

I believe Octopus will just take whatever your G99 says.

As to the Octopus rates, I think I already said that if your are an Octopus customer anyway you can use one of their non-SEG Export tariffs and get a better rate than 15p. I hope to get onto Octopus Flux next year which (at current rates) would give me about 20p or 32p depending on the time of day.

My original post was asking members here, in the U.K., how many kW they are allowed to export, so I can get an idea of how much I am likely to be able to export, IF I ever decide to go down that route. Are there any U.K. members here who export to the grid? How many kW are you allowed to export?
That is a pointless question and any answers will not give you any idea of what you can be able to export.

It would be like asking people what is the speed limit outside their house so you can get an idea of how fast you can drive outside of yours! For me it is 60mph, for many 30mph, some 40mph and, since this weekend, just 20mph if you are unfortunate enough to live in Wales ?️???????

Only your DNO will be able to provide you with that information based upon your MPAN. The export amount will depend on the line impedance of your connection to the nearest 11kV transformer, the number of properties served by that transformer and using the same phase as yours, and the amount of micro-generation that the DNO has already granted for others export.

The DNO is required to allow you to export 16A per phase under G98, so that's 3680W at the designated 230V. Anything above that is at the DNO's discretion.

I can imagine that in the future, even if my DNO allowed me to export, say, 10kW NOW, as more of my neighbours get solar panels, the DNO will reduce the amount I am allowed to export, until I'm down to 3.68kW, which just isn't worth it. So thanks for all your help, I'm going to stay with my off grid inverters and never bother exporting.

Last edited:
I'm not sure they can reduce the amount once you've got your G99 approved. They just have to take your production into account when approving new G99s in your area.

Even 3.68kW export is worth it at 15p/kWh or more. My export has got my effective electricity bills for the summer months down close to zero. If I was on Flux it would have covered my gas bills as well.

I have 12kW of solar panels, my Summer months' electricity bills are already zero (apart from the standing charge). I would have to buy an export capable inverter and get it installed, around £2,000 for 10kW of output (I would buy a Sunsynk). I will watch what happens over the next year, but I don't think it's worth it for me at the moment.

I'm rather late replying to this thread but it came up in a Google search.

What's been said in this thread is very much the case, one persons allowance gives no indication of yours.

I for example was approved for 11.68kW (UK Power Networks), I initially applied for more and would of got that, but reconfigured my install. The reason I got so much, I live next to the substation, and we are the first house on the line, with many others, I don't think there is any other solar in our street either. That's ours now, and they can't take it away as far as I'm aware.

If you're in a town, and there is not much solar around you, then you are likely to get a higher export limit, if on the other hand, you are in the middle of nowhere, and very few neighbours, then you will only be allowed to export 3.68kW - this you are legally entitled to export. If you wanted to export more then the DNO will give you a price for upgrading the network to cope with it.

Is it worth exporting, absolutely, last year on Flux our export earnings alone was £1636, factor in everything (FITS payments at 2015 rate, 1 referral, saving sessions, gas, electric) and our energy bill was -£406.

This year won't be quite so good as rates have dropped, I currently get 15p and 26p per kWh, our April energy bill was -£10, thats gas and electric.

Last edited:
Back