diy solar

diy solar

Big ole batteries!

MaintenanceMan

I potentially have access to more of these.
Pictures can be taken of voltages and I would take specific gravity readings as well.
I am fairly certain they would be reasonable.
Any intrest? Located in Mississippi and delivery could be arranged.
My main motivation would be to get someone to purchase a set so they can help me solve the problems of utilizing batteries this big. Lol

Attachments

• 20220801_110200.jpg
    20220801_110200.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 90
So, they are 2.1v lead acid cells?
I have some old locomotive batteries, made up of 2.1v lead acid cells. I haven't used them for anything, yet. Just keep them charged. But they were free , so I took them.

So, they are 2.1v lead acid cells?
I have some old locomotive batteries, made up of 2.1v lead acid cells. I haven't used them for anything, yet. Just keep them charged. But they were free , so I took them.
These are 2500amp hr. How big are yours and how do you charge them?

These are 2500amp hr. How big are yours and how do you charge them?
It's been a while since I looked at them, so I don't remember. Just remember that they were very heavy.
6 in series with an automotive battery maintainer.
I think it's a Battery Tender brand. They are in a shed, on the far side of the property. I haven't laid eyes on them in over a year. lol

Omg. Lol
I guess these are calcium lead acid batteries and they need extra volts to charge and because of the massive capacity I am under the impression that I need to charge at an amperage rate that equals 10% of the batteries capacity to overcome internal resistance to complete the chemical reaction that occurs during charging...I think. Lol

My battery maintainer, includes a desulfator. So, I just let them hang out, until I find a purpose for them.
I should probably check the water levels. lol

They can be charged just like any other lead acid cells. Just pick what voltage you want and get a charger for that voltage. Most lead acid batteries are made up of 2.1v cells. This is why automotive batteries have 6 water caps.

10% is a good base to start with.
It could take more, depending on current cell degradation. (Possible sulfation)

10% is a good base to start with.
It could take more, depending on current cell degradation. (Possible sulfation)
So a 2500amphr battery would need to be charged with 250amphr charger?
I am not finding anything like that other than forklift battery chargers. I was hoping for something a little fancier than that. Lol

Yeah, that's a big charger. Could probably get by with something smaller. If I were to use them, it would be in a solar system. So, hundreds of charging amps wouldn't be an issue. My AIO's are good for 100a Each.

I can't figure out if these batteries are cyclable.
In a few months I could afford enough solar to get them working but if they are not designed to cycle then I need to charge them from my utility power and keep them as a backup if my utility company don't keep up with tree cutting maintenance. Lol
I am replying back between passes.

Attachments

• 20220802_110557.jpg
    20220802_110557.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 34
Should be good for cycling down to 50%. I can't think of any other reason to build these batteries.
I wouldn't want to know what they would be designed for as a starting battery.

Should be good for cycling down to 50%. I can't think of any other reason to build these batteries.
I wouldn't want to know what they would be designed for as a starting battery.
These came from a bank of 120. They powered backup lube pumps for turbine bearing lubrication

Back