diy solar

diy solar

Blue Seas 125A t-fuse....stud torque really 3/8" pounds? Finger tight only?

AlaskanNoob

Solar Enthusiast
I'm trying to put my t-fuses in the t-fuse holder and if I'm reading this spec sheet correctly, I'm supposed to only torque the t-fuse to .34NM? My torque wrench min torque is 60 inch pounds, so if this is really the number I'm going to have to figure something out. That number seems so low. Seems to be finger tight which just seems odd, but I have no experience with such things.

Stud Torque3/8" in-lb (0.34 Nm)

Last edited:
Click on the “Works With”. The fuse holder listed there has much higher torque.

Where are you seeing that light torque number?

Yeah, the fuse holder has a higher torque but I wasn't sure if I was supposed to use that torque for the fuse holder studs that mount the fuse, or use the torque specified by the fuse itself. The 3/8" pound number for the fuse is on the fuse spec sheet:

Fuse A3T / Class T 125 Amp - Blue Sea Systems torque.jpg

Well, I'm just going to tighten the fuse in the fuse holder using the fuse holder torque and see what happens as I try to charge the battery for the first time.

These two differ a bit:

I would blame it on software. As I usually do.

We used the torque setting for the fuse holder and my first Pylontech is happily charging up. Fuse hasn't blown so all is well I suppose. I sent an email to Blue Seas to see what's up with that page.

Feels good to finally, finally, turn on a Pylontech and watch it charge up.

For what it's worth, this bolt torque chart says 15 foot-pounds for 3/8" galvanized bolt. That would be 180 inch pounds.

This one, 236 or 247 inch points for 3/8"-16 stainless alloys.

Yet another thread where common sense would tell you that the listed number is wrong. And there’s multiple torque wrench threads where common sense would tell a person that the torque wrench they’re using isn’t trustworthy.

For electrical connections I’m having a hard time understanding the value of using a well calibrated torque wrench, assuming you have values that are actually correct. What’s so wrong about going by feel?

If you just go by feel, you will never get it correct and if it loosens up it will get hot and can cause a fire.

If you use a torque wrench you will at least think it is correct ?

Common sense and feel are great.....until you get into aluminum and plastic parts, especially mixing in steel nuts and bolts.
But hey that's the difference between DIY and professional.

If you just go by feel, you will never get it correct and if it loosens up it will get hot and can cause a fire.

If you use a torque wrench you will at least think it is correct ?

If it loosens up because you went by feel then you need you recalibrate your sense of feel.

If you think it’s correct because you used a (out of true) torque wrench, then I would not want to sleep in your house lol.

Can you tell I don’t trust most torque wrenches? Most people only think their torque wrench is calibrated but have never done so nor even know how to.

Back