diy solar

diy solar

Bluetti ac200max solar array

Knight315

Hi, I'm new to solar and just purchased a Bluetti ac200 max with one b230 battery. I also bought the charge enhancer. I'm wondering if I can use 3

BIFACIAL 480 Watt Q.Peak Duo XL-G10.3 / BFG Solar Panels​

In parallel,Connected to the ac200max, and one panel connected to the charge enhancer, plugged into the b230 battery.

Thanks if any one can help me figure it out. I'm thinking if this is possible, I'd be able to charge my unit in about 3.5 hours of ideal sun?

This is the information on the panel. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220705-024456.png
    Screenshot_20220705-024456.png
    473.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20220705-024442.png
    Screenshot_20220705-024442.png
    407.9 KB · Views: 23
The VOC is quite high on that.

If I only had 3 of those panels, I'd probably put 2 of them in series, and then one standalone on the DC Charging Enhancer.

You can't put 3 in series, because that'd be above the 145V max VOC input.

You could try 3 in parallel. However, I think you'd get better results with the B230 battery connected to the AC200Max, and then your PV input connected only to the AC200Max. My thinking is that with these bifacials, the voltages AND the amps will all be varying. But the AC200Max won't pull more than 15A. But it may be worth exploring to see if it helps.

The VOC is quite high on that.

If I only had 3 of those panels, I'd probably put 2 of them in series, and then one standalone on the DC Charging Enhancer.

You can't put 3 in series, because that'd be above the 145V max VOC input.

You could try 3 in parallel. However, I think you'd get better results with the B230 battery connected to the AC200Max, and then your PV input connected only to the AC200Max. My thinking is that with these bifacials, the voltages AND the amps will all be varying. But the AC200Max won't pull more than 15A. But it may be worth exploring to see if it helps.
Thanks for your help.

Yes I think that it's probably a better idea to try and find another panel with less of a voc. That way I can have 3 in series connected to the PV input on the ac200 max, and then one through the charge enhancer, connected to the AC port, through the charge enhancer. Connecting in parallel, wouldn't that bring the amps up alot higher then 15 amps and maybe damage the ac200max?

But also the main reason I was thinking of having 3 in series and one stand alone was that I'd have higher output on bad days, before and after solar noon? But maybe it wouldn't make that much of a difference in having 2 in parallel and one through the charge enhancer?

Now I'm just wondering what a good quality panel, that isn't outrageously expensive. I just know from some research that Qcell is a good brand. Eventually I want to purchase a hybrid split phase Inverter and have a big system. So I was thinking it's better to buy panels that I can repurpose into the bigger system later on?

Last edited:
Connecting in parallel, wouldn't that bring the amps up alot higher then 15 amps and maybe damage the ac200max?
As long as the voltage is within limits, the MPPT will only draw the current it wants/can use/is limited to. It can't be forced to take more just because an array has the capacity.

Voltage on the other hand, that's different. Keep well within the limits there. Exceeding that can damage the unit.

Keep in mind lower temps increase Voc.

So I ended up ordering 4 of these 340 watt panels instead. Seems they are within specs to run 3 in series through the pv port on the Bluetti ac200 max and one through the charge enhancer, in the ac input.

Attachments

• 61u1y_blSoL._AC_SX522_500x.jpg
    61u1y_blSoL._AC_SX522_500x.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20220711-101927.png
    Screenshot_20220711-101927.png
    433.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I have been looking at those unit for RV and AC200MAX. Though 2 unit may do and mount it on a rack on the ground for now. Let me know how dealing with them is like and the quality of those panels. They also have the 170 watt units, but not available until the fall. They don't ship to Alberta, so would need to go via Amazon.ca.

I have been looking at those unit for RV and AC200MAX. Though 2 unit may do and mount it on a rack on the ground for now. Let me know how dealing with them is like and the quality of those panels. They also have the 170 watt units, but not available until the fall. They don't ship to Alberta, so would need to go via Amazon.ca.
I'll let you know about the panels, I'm picking them up at the end of the month.

As for the ac200 max and the b230 battery, I'm happy. Small enough form factor that they are good for being on the move, but comprehensive enough that it works great in a stationary method. Right now I'm using the b230 battery with the charge enhancer. I've got 3 old 100 watt panels keeping it toped up. It's running my Dometic fx3 95dv fridge. One side at 4 degrees Celsius, and the other at minus 14 Celcius.

The ac200 max, I use it to watch tv at night. Usually needs to be recharged once a week. So not bad.

Once I get the new panels set up I'll be using the ac200 max to power my whole tiny home.

I'll update once I've got some data.

Okay on the B230, i hope I not be needing it. We already haver 3 x 100 amp lifepo4 batteries, honda generator, etc. The plan is to plug it into our 30 amp RV. We don't use air conditioner (with honda generator we can use it) and whatever can run on propane we will use.

When off grid camping, we have lots of milwaukee batteries for tools, chain saw, but can charge it all on generator and/or ac200max when noise is a no no. We do ice fishing too (big winter passtime) and one battery handle all the equipment. Will see if the EB3A will work.

The only thing missing is solar panels. We did receive renogy suitcase 200 watt panel. It arrived with missing diode covers and the accessories. The unit is in process of being returned, waiting for prepaid label. Not too happy with renogy....

For the 3 100 amp batteries, you could buy the alligator clips and a charge enhancer. They could be coupled to a Bluetti ac200 max, or ac300,

I post this on another chat: If you need more than 900 watt limit and/or want solar and battery bank, then the enhancer would work. The ac200p has lower limits, so it be less but concept is the same.

How to use battery pack as a booster/charger to Bluetti AC200MAX. I stand corrected, you would need to set the setting for PV, plug in solar plug.

Have a cable connected to it and the other end to your battery. If it only 12 volt battery, you will only get 100-180 watts charging.

If you put your battery bank in series, like 24 or 36 or more. (Do not exceed or come to close to the voltage allowed (145 volts).

With 24 volt you get around 216-360 watt charging and with 36 volt you will get around 324-540 With 48=432-720 and 60=540-900. (Rough math, I may have use a lower/higher amp rate). I believe the limit is 900 watts and 700 watts on the previous model 200 P.

It varies depending on the mppt, as it will find an amp rating to get maximum charge. Also the condition of your battery bank.

@Knight315
I would love to hear your experiences with the 3+1 340 W panels/ac200max/charge enhancer combo, as I have some spare 340 W Qcells panels from my stationary system, and would like to acquire the ac200max + charge enhancer for added flexibility. Thx

@Knight315
I would love to hear your experiences with the 3+1 340 W panels/ac200max/charge enhancer combo, as I have some spare 340 W Qcells panels from my stationary system, and would like to acquire the ac200max + charge enhancer for added flexibility. Thx
I got the panels, but then was not able to get them home yet (my Hemi got destroyed). I'll be getting them home next month. I'll update you once I get some use out of them.

@Knight315
I went with a 2s2p+1 approach for my 5 panels. The DC charging enhancer works fine. It doesn't have an MPPT controller in it, but my 365w panel gets about 300w in direct sunlight.

The 2s2p gives the max 920w in good/moderate sunlight.

I've been considering the AC200MAX but the horrible customer service and high failure rates have been holding me back. How is everyones holding up?

Also, what is the minimum solar input one could use? I have a Zamp 12v 80 watt suitcase panel we use on our RV that I would like to use when we are boon docking.

Ours has been on 24x7 off grid for months running a single door fridge freezer and other power draws as needed. It works fine with everything we have tried but we did check power draws on everything before powering it off the Ac200max so it was not overloaded. It is not suitable for very high power draw devices mainly ones with powerful heating elements such as fan ovens, standard kettles etc. We use mains for those.

Things to watch out for are it uses minimum about 1% battery per hour when powered on for AC with no or very low power draw. As it is a combined unit if anything fails you need to contact BLUETTI for warranty or spare parts etc. While portable it and the expansion batteries are not light. Best to download the manual which has all the input/ output details etc. as it does have its limitations and would not suit everyone. Also need to carefully spec solar panels to get the most out of it.

I'd also add in that the power draw on the DC Charging Enhancer can be a little high if you're in twilight morning or evening hours. The internal relay in the Bluetti can be heard clicking on and off if the input is hovering near the lower limits of 12V. Now that fall is arriving, I turn off my solar input entirely after about 6:30pm and don't turn it back on until 9am EST. This reduces the cycling and it has helped lower internal self consumption.

Back