diy solar

diy solar

BMS’s Tripping on Sailboat

Cat Tales

I installed 6 new Battleborn GC-2’s about 18 months ago on my 37’ Catamaran. I also installed two 310 watt solar panels on the Bimini each having a 30 amp Epever 30 amp controller with MT50 configured to your recommendations. I also initially installed a 370 watt panel on the arch with a 30 amp Epever controller. Subsequently I added another 370 watt panel to the arch in parallel with the existing 370 watt panel. 10 awg wire. This could be pushing the limit with the 30 amp controller. Entire battery bank/system is protected via a 150amp breaker.
I’ve been having issues with apparently the BMS’s tripping out when I run my 1000 watt inverter. It’s an old Xantrex inverter/charger so I attributed the tripping to the inverter, and have ordered a new Victron Multiplus 3000 with controller.
Yesterday I was pulling the anchor with the windlass (large current draw), and for the first time the batteries would not run the windlass and I think possibly tripped the BMS’s - have a separate starter battery - as freezer reset possibly indicating a battery reset. I started the engines (125 amp alternators- new engines/alternators), and the windlass ran fine until the end under strain where it uncharacteristically struggled as if it did not have sufficient power. I am checking all connections.
I am a bit premature in questioning the BMS’s as I am still investigating connections (boats are notorious for corrosion and vibrations at connections). I will try running the water maker tomorrow (draws 40 amps) off the batteries to see if I get a similar result.
In the meanwhile I thought I would throw this out for comments/thoughts.
Thanks for your YouTube’s Will. I designed my power and solar systems around your recommendations and have been very happy with it! I hope to sort this out soon, as I plan to leave here (Guatamala) for Panama/San Blas in February.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Sincerely,
Taylor

How are the batteries wired together?
In parallel with the positive coming off the first battery and the negative coming off the fifth of six (last one 2 feet away from rest).

Attachments

• A56C7AD8-1C5C-41B0-B1F4-BAADF378E249.jpeg
    A56C7AD8-1C5C-41B0-B1F4-BAADF378E249.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 0587CEDB-6F23-4D7A-9095-0DCC44F9A5BF.jpeg
    0587CEDB-6F23-4D7A-9095-0DCC44F9A5BF.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 6
  • CE3BF461-6E0E-4088-971C-A279BA0747E4.jpeg
    CE3BF461-6E0E-4088-971C-A279BA0747E4.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 6
Here are a couple of ideas - Don't know how good or practical they are for you...

Disconnect the battery bank from each other - Do all the voltages match?

Charge System up to 100% - turn off solar - do a capacity test on system. Are all batteries full together? - Are they running down together? Are they all empty together? (Be ready to recharge when done). Do you get the expected capacity?

It looks like you may have a battery monitor on the system? Does it agree with with the full voltages (When it says full are the batteries really full)?

Good Luck!

I started the engines (125 amp alternators- new engines/alternators), and the windlass ran fine until the end under strain where it uncharacteristically struggled as if it did not have sufficient power. I am checking all connections.

No shutdown while the engine is running, but it still struggles at the end. If the windlass is anything like my recovery winches, the first row of cable on the drum has the most torque and the last row/layer of cable has the least torque. I can tell that it's struggling on that layer. I have to wonder if you have a voltage drop. It might be good to monitor the voltage at the windlass throughout the process.

Here are a couple of ideas - Don't know how good or practical they are for you...

Disconnect the battery bank from each other - Do all the voltages match?

Charge System up to 100% - turn off solar - do a capacity test on system. Are all batteries full together? - Are they running down together? Are they all empty together? (Be ready to recharge when done). Do you get the expected capacity?

It looks like you may have a battery monitor on the system? Does it agree with with the full voltages (When it says full are the batteries really full)?

Good Luck!
Thanks so much for your input. I am going to call Battleborn before I attempt your suggestion as it involves considerable efforts. I’ll see what they think. Can’t be the first time someone has been through this.
Again, thank you very much for sharing your thoughts on this!!

No shutdown while the engine is running, but it still struggles at the end. If the windlass is anything like my recovery winches, the first row of cable on the drum has the most torque and the last row/layer of cable has the least torque. I can tell that it's struggling on that layer. I have to wonder if you have a voltage drop. It might be good to monitor the voltage at the windlass throughout the process.
Thanks for your advice. The winch is a pass through anchor chain winch. The effort is considerably more at the end when the anchor is breaking free thus the struggle of the motor. However I had not seen this in the past. As mentioned in another reply, i’m goin to see what Battleborn has to say and will post their response.
Thanks again for your advice!!
Happy New Year!!

Back