diy solar

diy solar

BMS assistance

Tball

Fellow DIYers. I have my 8 Eve 280Ah cells and committed to a 24v (8s) system for my 5th wheel. All I need is a BMS. Right now I’m looking for simplicity. I’ve been lurking on here pretty much reading everything and I hear Daly, smart Daly, Chargery, Electrodacus, Overkill solar and I’m looking for something I can get my hands on soonest and will be easiest to maintain for this setup. I‘m looking for reliability. I’m very mechanically inclined (see avatar, that’s what i fix) but want something for this application that just works! Thoughts?

Do you need low temp cutoff?
What continous amp rating do you need?
Does your inverter have sensible low voltage cutoff?
Do your dc loads have low voltage cutoff?

Do you need low temp cutoff?
What continous amp rating do you need?
Does your inverter have sensible low voltage cutoff?
Do your dc loads have low voltage cutoff?
#1 no, batteries are in climate controlled area
#2 At least 100a, might use microwave for a minute or two
#3 yes, user selectable from 10.5 to 12.1
#4 no, but 12v loads are minimal
biggest draw is 120v residential fridge, thus 280Ah @ 24v battery bank

Thanks!

Fellow DIYers. I have my 8 Eve 280Ah cells and committed to a 24v (8s) system for my 5th wheel. All I need is a BMS. Right now I’m looking for simplicity. I’ve been lurking on here pretty much reading everything and I hear Daly, smart Daly, Chargery, Electrodacus, Overkill solar and I’m looking for something I can get my hands on soonest and will be easiest to maintain for this setup. I‘m looking for reliability. I’m very mechanically inclined (see avatar, that’s what i fix) but want something for this application that just works! Thoughts?
Simplicity probably cuts out the Chargery and ElectroDacus. ElectroDacus only works with certain inverters as well, so you would need to check on that if you want to go that route.

Overkill doesn't make an 8s version, so that's out.

The original Daly isn't programmable or allow the user to see what's going on. They are widely used however and available on Amazon, so that may be an option. The new Daly smart BMS seems like a bit of a cluster f^%k at the moment (when I was following the thread) and it's a brand new product so might want to wait till they get it figured out, but might be promising in the future.

That leaves the ANT BMS. It's what Will recommends on his solar blueprint, raw cell page. But I clicked the link and it says they are sold out. He's done a few videos on this BMS so setting it up wouldn't be too bad since he walked through the process step by step. Maybe someone has a link to somewhere else to purchase?

If it was me, I would check to see if the ElectroDacus works with your set up and trade simplicity for a solid programmable BMS with screen and good support. Will did a video setting one of these up as well, so you could follow along there too. Problem is, the last I check they weren't available until August sometime (need to check that to make sure).

Muddy waters - good luck in your search.

Last edited:
The Chargery is stupid simple if you don’t need the disconnect features, which according to answer #3 you may not.

Cell level monitoring, 1+ amp passive balancing and visual/audible alarms which you can use since the battery sounds like it will be inside with you.

If you can fix a fighter jet. The Chargery IS stupid simple.......

Man, you guys are inspiring! THanks for the feedback and pointers, I now have a direction!

diy solar

diy solar
Back