diy solar

diy solar

Best BMS for Victron integration in mobile application

S Davis

Solar Enthusiast
I have a mobile system in my work vehicle that is using a Redarc 50 amp dc/dc charger, it works good except it’s charge profile is set to 14.5v and my two 12v 280ah battery packs with Daly 200amp BMS are tripping on high cell voltage. The cells are great until they hit 3.5 and then I will get over voltage on one cell. At this point I turn on charging and keep an eye on it and shut off when at 3.5 per cell.

I am changing my inverter to a Multiplus 3000 and figure while I’m at it I should change the dc/dc charger too, what is the best BMS to integrate into a mobile Victron system, not really worried about price I need good integration and reliability.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• 11252636-A8B8-494B-83E1-1C934EE1B3C0.jpeg
    11252636-A8B8-494B-83E1-1C934EE1B3C0.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 8
  • EC4933F1-0B2D-4F16-B5D8-17391EC4B082.jpeg
    EC4933F1-0B2D-4F16-B5D8-17391EC4B082.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 8
  • B4201D90-7C16-41E4-9160-F2825C3428AE.jpeg
    B4201D90-7C16-41E4-9160-F2825C3428AE.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 9
Batrium, REC, any of the server rack batteries that use the Pylontech protocol such as SOK, Trophy and EG4.

@Louisvdw has written a driver that allows interface of a JBD, JK and other BMS. This requires you to go superuser on the GX device and install the driver. If you have multiple batteries, there is a separate battery aggregator driver.

I currently use a Raspberry Pi, Venus OS 3.12 and a JBD BMS connected with a UART to USB cable to monitor a test battery on Victron VRM.

Recent post about it: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/pseudo-self-discharge-exercise.75220/

Note that BMS integration won't fix your problem unless ALL chargers are compatible with and subject to control by the GX device like a Cerbo.

Sound like your issue is with cell imbalance in your batteries.

Batrium, REC, any of the server rack batteries that use the Pylontech protocol such as SOK, Trophy and EG4.

@Louisvdw has written a driver that allows interface of a JBD, JK and other BMS. This requires you to go superuser on the GX device and install the driver. If you have multiple batteries, there is a separate battery aggregator driver.

I currently use a Raspberry Pi, Venus OS 3.12 and a JBD BMS connected with a UART to USB cable to monitor a test battery on Victron VRM.

Recent post about it: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/pseudo-self-discharge-exercise.75220/

Note that BMS integration won't fix your problem unless ALL chargers are compatible with and subject to control by the GX device like a Cerbo.

Sound like your issue is with cell imbalance in your batteries.
The batteries are fine until about 3.58 volts per cell, I need to set up charging for a max of 3.55 volts per cell or 14.2 volts. I don’t have to change the current BMS as long as I can limit the charge voltage, I just thought if if made sense to I would.
I am not too thrilled with my Daly BMS, they will not register a load below about 3amps.

Get a bms that is 150a or 200a but make sure it has Bluetooth monitors. That way you can see the voltages in your cells. You probably just need to redo the top balance of the cells or adding a cell balancer may fix the issue.

I have a Batrium bms on my battery in my MotorHome, but I have chosen to NOT have the bms control the charging. I am more confident with the standard charging happening.

The batteries are fine until about 3.58 volts per cell, I need to set up charging for a max of 3.55 volts per cell or 14.2 volts. I don’t have to change the current BMS as long as I can limit the charge voltage, I just thought if if made sense to I would.
I am not too thrilled with my Daly BMS, they will not register a load below about 3amps.

If all cells are above 3.50V at the same time, your battery is balanced enough. I would target 3.45-3.50V/cell with a float of 3.375V

Back