diy solar

diy solar

Daly BMS 400amp with Multiplus-ii 48/5000

pdc1010

Dear solar forum,

I have a Daly 400amper bms (I wanted 300 but they didn't have in stock). Connected to a Multiplus-ii 48/5000.
I have 16*lipo accus of 306ah.
The Daly is working via Bluetooth on my mobile phone. I have set the protocol type on the app to "victron energy"
The Daly b- cables go to a victron shunt then to a busbar then to the multiplus
There is a positive cable from the positive of the "final" accu, to a main switch then to a 300amper fuse, then to a busbar, before going to the positive terminal of the multiplus.

The ac out 1 goes to the fuse box.

When I turn on the multiplus the "inverter on" lamp flashes as well as the "charger absorption" light. They blink alternatively.

What must I do to get the multiplus and bms to communicate? There are two "ve.bus" connections on the multiplus-ii and the Daly bms has 2* can wires, 2*485 wires and a ground cable.

Please help as I am meant to go travelling with my truck next week and I need to get the electricity fixed.

Thanks Paul,
Netherlands

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you would need a GX device (like a cerbo) to handle the communication protocol conversion. The inverter speaks "ve bus" and the bms speaks "can". Something has to be in the middle to help them talk together.

@sunshine_eggo can it work without a cerbo?

The RJ-45 connectors on the MP are VE.Bus. If you plug anything into it that shouldn't be there, it gets pissed. The only thing that should be connected to the VE.Bus is another inverter or the GX device.

The only way to connect a battery to a victron system is via the VE.Can or BMS-CAN ports on a Cerbo or other GX device.

The RJ-45 connectors on the MP are VE.Bus. If you plug anything into it that shouldn't be there, it gets pissed. The only thing that should be connected to the VE.Bus is another inverter or the GX device.

The only way to connect a battery to a victron system is via the VE.Can or BMS-CAN ports on a Cerbo or other GX device.
Thank you sir!

Hey, thanks for the reply.
So, I would need to get the cerbo. Then i connect the multiplus via the ve.bus and the Daly via the can or rs485 into the cerbo. The cerbo has Bluetooth, so, via victron connect I can connect to the cerbo and make the Daly bms and multiplus communicate.

I guess I would have to make my own cable for the Daly bms. Any ideas?

So, I would need to get the cerbo. Then i connect the multiplus via the ve.bus and the Daly via the can or rs485 into the cerbo. The cerbo has Bluetooth, so, via victron connect I can connect to the cerbo and make the Daly bms and multiplus communicate.

I would think since you're going from Daly CAN to Cerbo CAN, you could just use a straight network patch cable, but I've never messed with a Daly before.

So, I would need to get the cerbo. Then i connect the multiplus via the ve.bus and the Daly via the can or rs485 into the cerbo.

Yes.

The cerbo has Bluetooth, so, via victron connect I can connect to the cerbo and make the Daly bms and multiplus communicate.

No.

You would need to get a touchscreen or install on VRM and use remote console.

Unknown.

You're asking for very specific help with an uncommon configuration. I can't help you with the specifics. You can find the pinout for the Victron CAN port online.

It sound like you have no time, no experience and are trying to do something outside your skillset. You need to become your own expert.

Given the time crunch, I recommend you simply install the BMS/battery normally and program the attached hardware to operate inside the BMS limits.

Ok thanks everyone!
Yeh I got the accus and bms without realizing the complexity of connecting it all. My bad. But I work as a solar panel electrician for commercial on grid sites. Usually changing fuse boxes and problem shooting grid inverters: solar edge, sma and enfase. so I have basic understanding of electronics of what is what.

I saw this video, and no I don't have this "Daly interface board" but actually it doesn't seem to be on sale anywhere.

It seems like a massive workaround to connect the Daly bms to my multiplus. The thing is all my stuff works on ac so using the invertor is necessary.

I guess as there is so little time I am left with two options.
A) get some new batteries quickly, low ah. As I already have multiplus 48v I would need 4*12v. But this is an option. And either work out the bms when I retu n from traveling or sell it all off.
B) get a bms that works easier with victron. But it needs to be 16cells and 300ampers.

I would be totally happy with that.. for me they don't need to communicate. I only need the multiplus to act as an inverter. ( Off course I would like it to be able to use the charging option in the winter). But at the moment the multiplus is not inverting. And the smart solar mppt 150/45 to charge.

Do I need to connect the mppt and multiplus differently?? What do you mean by "open loop"?

But at the moment the multiplus is not inverting.
I’ve only ever seen the inverter and absorption lights flashing during a firmware update. Did you recently perform an update?

What do you mean by "open loop"?
Usually you’ll hear the term “closed loop” when the inverter and battery are connected and the batteries BMS controls the charging parameters. “Open loop” is just a way of saying there’s no comms between the inverter and battery.

Thanks for all your help everyone. You've cleared things up a bit.
Regarding the multiplus, no, I have never updated it. But I bought it second hand. I also thought the flashing lights were strange.
So, in theory it should be working. I believe everything is connected correctly. That's at least some good news. So next I should work out what is the problem with the multiplus-2. I guess I should get the Bluetooth dongle and connect it to the multiplus and check what's up.

I should get the Bluetooth dongle and connect it to the multiplus
I Dont know from a dongle for the MP.
First you have to check the settings of the MP. This is possible with a MK3 Victron USB cable or you connect the MP to an GX Device with VE Bus. If you will show the MP in network you have to use a GX Device. To the GX you can load the third party serial driver to connect your bms to look for the cell voltages and so on. In the driver there a many settings possible to run your battery properly. The GX Device may be an rasperry to run the Venus OS from Victron.

Hi,
So I finally worked out what the error code means from the alternating flashing combination of lights. It is a:
"VE.Bus Error 3 - Not all, or more than, the expected devices were found in the
system"
This seems strange to me, unless the previous owner had it configured as part of a 3 phase setup or larger system.

So I borrowed a mk2 victron USB interface from a friend and plugged it with a good cat5 cable betqeen my laptop and multiplus2. The laptop reads the mk2 device but not the multiplus. Do I have to buy an mk3 to connect or should it work on mk2?

Hi,
So I finally worked out what the error code means from the alternating flashing combination of lights. It is a:
"VE.Bus Error 3 - Not all, or more than, the expected devices were found in the
system"
This seems strange to me, unless the previous owner had it configured as part of a 3 phase setup or larger system.

So I borrowed a mk2 victron USB interface from a friend and plugged it with a good cat5 cable betqeen my laptop and multiplus2. The laptop reads the mk2 device but not the multiplus. Do I have to buy an mk3 to connect or should it work on mk2?

It is still configured for the 3 phase system, so it won't work until it's put into single phase mode. It's looking for the other inverters, and since it can't find them, it's offline.

You can use the mk2, but make sure you use the VE.Configure program to connect, not the VictronConnect application.

This.

The VE.Bus Quick Configure tool is part of the VEConfigure3 program from Victron. Should allow you to quickly revert to solo single phase.

Also, the VE.Bus bluetooth dongle is ONLY for monitoring through VictronConnect - no programming.

Thanks everyone for your help on this. I got today the mk3 interface and managed to take it out of 3 fase mode. Multiplus 2 is now inverting!

I attached some Fotos!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240108-183855.png
    Screenshot_20240108-183855.png
    126.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20240108-183804.png
    Screenshot_20240108-183804.png
    233 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240108_183715545.jpg
    IMG_20240108_183715545.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 3
And...