diy solar

diy solar

BMS crazy state of charge

cometman

I am having issues with my 12v battery system. I have created 2 large battery banks, 4S5P with these brand new Fortune 100AH LiFePO4 batteries from Electric Car Parts Company. Each of these two battery banks has a BMS from overkill solar. My total capacity is 1000AH.

On one of my battery banks I am seeing some very strange behavior. It started yesterday, when I noticed one of my BMS shut off with a high voltage alarm. A few things I noticed...the state of charge was way off as the other battery was showing a state of charge around 50%. Also, one of the cells was extremely low and another cell seemed to be very high. See following photo:
1612747442312.png

I was worried that my cells are possibly out of balance so I decided to reduce the float value of the batteries to 14.2 and give up a small amount of capacity in order to see if I could resolve the error.

After draining the batteries completely, when charging I noticed the battery with the error jumped up extremely high in the stage of charge...(from 3% to 30%).

I have a feeling that the BMS on this battery is bad and wanted to get some input from you all.

The following photos show the massive jump in state of charge after fully draining (these are two different batteries in the following pictures).

1612747736034.png1612747768166.png

Back