diy solar

diy solar

BMS for Tesla

Another open source firmware project you might look at for the Teensy is the SimpBMS one. I purchase a complete setup from “Second life EV Batteries”.

If I had more time I might use the open source SimpBMS software on Tiny32 and link it's serial port to Raspberry Pi to do the rest of the BMS functionality and automation integration with NodeRED and skip using the CAN bus interface. It would be much cheaper to take that route at the expense of being more technically involved. Note: The SimpBMS serial interface is constantly sending detailed info of all the attached Tesla modules as it's default mode.

I have been following Jack Rickard since he was actually building EVs. He is constantly evolving. His back office is more capable now of providing support than when he first began.
I drive two Teslas but do not understand the pros and cons of using the Tesla modules versus just using the wires and a standalone BMS. It may turn on your familiarity with programming or interacting with an Arduino or Raspberry Pi.

Last edited:
I have been following Jack Rickard since he was actually building EVs. He is constantly evolving. His back office is more capable now of providing support than when he first began.
I drive two Teslas but do not understand the pros and cons of using the Tesla modules versus just using the wires and a standalone BMS. It may turn on your familiarity with programming or interacting with an Arduino or Raspberry Pi.

Is that who makes the board I just posted? Is there any info that shows how to set it up/how it works?

Is that who makes the board I just posted? Is there any info that shows how to set it up/how it works?
I don't know the details. There are EVTV videos and user comments but i don't know if there is a user forum for Jack's products.
I have been using the same BMS for the last two packs and did give some thought to using Tesla modules on my next pack upgrade. I was going to continue to use that BMS and a duplicate because I don't have Arduino skills. Ultimately I decided on LFPs which are less expensive than Tesla modules. I am in the process of that transition now.

I don't know the details. There are EVTV videos and user comments but i don't know if there is a user forum for Jack's products.
I have been using the same BMS for the last two packs and did give some thought to using Tesla modules on my next pack upgrade. I was going to continue to use that BMS and a duplicate because I don't have Arduino skills. Ultimately I decided on LFPs which are less expensive than Tesla modules. I am in the process of that transition now.

Thanks! by LFP you mean LiFePO ? Where are you able to get them for cheaper than tesla modules? I wonder if I can find something similar in Canada, but doubtful.

I wonder if I can find something similar in Canada, but doubtful.
I got mine from Deligreen and will start a thread as soon as they arrive next week. There are several threads about the 280 Ahr generic LFPs and a specific one for Canadian purchasers. I think there is also an emerging BC group buy.

I found another option. I think I might go with this solution since I see now benefit to using the proprietary Tesla child modules and trying to hack a host for them.

The DIYBMS v4

Here is what Ive been using for awhile now. The Tesla BMB has proven itself the most safe means of controlling the module.

What are my options for available bms' ?

How to:

...And concerning the possibility of a 6ft high blazing fireball,

Last edited:
For what it is worth and if you didn't see my build thread where I switched from LA to tesla modules using Jack Rickard's product, the EPS32 V2

I will link to the post, where I decided to go with the EPS32 V2 https://diysolarforum.com/threads/s...n-2000-on-my-house-and-it-shows.11/post-75795

it whole purpose in life is to protect the tesla battery from too low and too high temps and too low voltage and too high voltage on charging.

yes it is not cheap at $2500 plus $900 in extension parts, but it 'can' handle 62 modules

but my goal is not 1 or 4 modules but 20 to 22 modules in my pack, so the ESP cost is very small part of the cost

I like the re-use of these batteries.

the biggest issue is getting an inverter that handle 38.4 to 50.4 volt range of the tesla (in 2S configuration)

I like the re-use of these batteries.
Thanks for the update. I was using Nissan Leaf modules before I switched to LFP cells last year. I had been seriously considering Tesla Modules. I drive two Teslas so I have confidence in their quality and that module that Jack built sounded great. I had been following Jack since 2011 when I did and EV conversion. I always thought it was ironic that Jack was a big supporter of the No BMS bottom balancing clan but to his credit saw the light and then actually produced one. May he rest in peace.

just wanted to chime in with a hardware option for interfacing with CAN device that i'm evaluating..

microcontroller : adafruit QT PY SAMD21 cpu
CAN controller+tranceiver
I2C isolator to interface with outside the module.

e.g. tesla cells <-> tesla BMS <-> CANshield <-> QTPY <-> i2c isolator <-> (your application)

perhaps power the CANshield, QTPY and one side of i2c isolator from battery module, and have some main thing that talks to them all. just sharing for food for thought!

hope everyone with tesla modules can have a good time.

I believe that module consists of over 70 cell bricks in 6 or 7 serial groups. You just need a 6 or 7S BMS with adjustable set points for voltage. You should check my assumptions. The cells are NMC which have a nominal voltage of 4 volts. 6 times 4 is 24 volts. Some of the 8S BMSs can be configured for 6 or 7 Serial cells.

On this thread the poster used Tesla modules and maybe he describes the BMS.

Can you offer more specifics on which 8S BMS can be configured for use with 6S? I'm looking for a 6S Li-Ion BMS in the neighborhood of 250 amps but I can't find any on the market. My Tesla's didn't come with the Tesla BMS attached but it has a 6S balance lead pigtail in its place. The $2,500 Jack Prickard special is too pricey for me. The Daly's are less than $200 for that amperage for the LiFePo4's which is the neighborhood I'm looking at.

Edit: I may be able to get away with two 125A BMS. My set up is 2 - 24V Tesla modules in parallel powering a 24V/5,000W continuous PSW inverter (10,000W surge). So 5,000W/24V = 208A or 104A from each Tesla module. Is my math correct?

Last edited:
I have searched through half a dozen pages of tesla bms results on the whole forum there wasn't anything that stood out or conclusive in regards to what is the BMS option for a tesla s module in 2020.

Some of us are using the EVTV BMS, it's super scalable for expansion, here's a great thread... forgive if already posted.

Jen

Discussed at the below two links..

Jen

Back