diy solar

diy solar

BMS how to connect Victron EKRANO GX

Travis.west

Hello every one

I encountered a very difficult problem recently

It seems that there is a problem with my Ekrano GX. I used to use Cerbo GX and Pylontech BMS before, which worked very well and had communication.

But I can use it work with my BMS, BMS-CAN port is Cancel,so I can VE-CAN1 and VE-CAN 2. is didn't work. also I try 250K and 500K.

They are unable to communicate properly. I dont know how to do? May I ask how to solve it. and my software is V3.22
1709262399453.png1709262419946.png

The only thing VE.Bus is used for is connecting inverters to each other and/or a GX device. What are you trying to accomplish?
i was just looking for eloquent solutions with my Ekrano [aka not needing a USB to VE.direct adapter, etc...] i'm inquiring about the use of the VE.bus port to free up more options

i have two inverters [paired multiplus II for split phase] and two SCCs. i will also have two battery banks. my main 48v and a smaller 12v. the 48v will have shunt [either a smart shunt or a built in option like the epoch 12V 460Ah | Heated & Bluetooth & Victron Comms] and i might also put a shunt on the 12v system.

if use a smart shunt on the 48v system and if my two SCCs only use VE.direct then all three VE.direct will be used and i would then need an adapter to add another smart shunt. right now i have one 150/60 SCC but i could make my second SCC the 150/70 with a VE.can port since the ekrano has two of those. this would free up a VE.direct port so that i could use those three for the 150/60 SCC and two smart shunts. but i would rather not get the 150/70

here are some possible configurations:

VE.direct 1: 150/60 SCC
VE.direct 2: 150/60 SCC
VE.direct 3: smart shunt 12v
VE.can 1: paired muiltplus
VE.can 2: epoch battery 48v
VE.bus 1: [or put epoch battery 48v here?]

VE.direct 2: smart shunt 12v
VE.direct 3: smart shunt 48v
VE.can 2: 150/70 SCC
VE.bus 1:

i was just looking for eloquent solutions with my Ekrano [aka not needing a USB to VE.direct adapter, etc...] i'm inquiring about the use of the VE.bus port to free up more options

eloquent: fluent or persuasive in speaking or writing.

I don't see how this applies.

I'll say it again:

The only thing VE.Bus is used for is connecting inverters to each other and/or a GX device.

Do not plug ANYTHING into VE.Bus ports besides a GX device and inverters that are configured to operate in parallel with each other.

NEVER plug anything into VE.Bus but inverters.

if use a smart shunt on the 48v system and if my two SCCs only use VE.direct then all three VE.direct will be used and i would then need an adapter to add another smart shunt.

Correct.

here are some possible configurations:

VE.direct 2: 150/60 SCC
VE.direct 3: smart shunt 12v

Fine so far.

NO. Paired inverters MUST be plugged into VE.Bus. Period. If they work at all, they will not be recognized by the Cerbo.

VE.can 2: epoch battery 48v
VE.bus 1: [or put epoch battery 48v here?]

Multiple Epoch batteries are not supported (an Epoch limitation). Plugging one into the VE.Bus will either crash the inverters or do absolutely nothing.

VE.direct 2: smart shunt 12v
VE.direct 3: smart shunt 48v

Fine so far.

NO. Paired inverters MUST be plugged into VE.Bus. Period.

The Cerbo can handle 15 VE.Direct devices. VE.Direct to USB cables can be used to connected two additional VE.Direct items to the on-board USB ports (NOT the one by the HDMI port). Alternatively, you can expand to up to 15 VE.Direct devices by connecting a USB hub and use additional VE.Direct to USB cables.

VE.Can and VE.Bus ports are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT at a hardware level. They just happen to share the RJ-45 connector.

eloquent: fluent or persuasive in speaking or writing.

I don't see how this applies.

I'll say it again:

Do not plug ANYTHING into VE.Bus ports besides a GX device and inverters that are configured to operate in parallel with each other.

NEVER plug anything into VE.Bus but inverters.

Correct.

Fine so far.

NO. Paired inverters MUST be plugged into VE.Bus. Period. If they work at all, they will not be recognized by the Cerbo.

Multiple Epoch batteries are not supported (an Epoch limitation). Plugging one into the VE.Bus will either crash the inverters or do absolutely nothing.

Fine so far.

NO. Paired inverters MUST be plugged into VE.Bus. Period.

The Cerbo can handle 15 VE.Direct devices. VE.Direct to USB cables can be used to connected two additional VE.Direct items to the on-board USB ports (NOT the one by the HDMI port). Alternatively, you can expand to up to 15 VE.Direct devices by connecting a USB hub and use additional VE.Direct to USB cables.

VE.Can and VE.Bus ports are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT at a hardware level. They just happen to share the RJ-45 connector.
thanks for the clarification, putting the paired inverters into the VE.Bus is helpful on few levels. now if i can just find out how the epoch 12V 460Ah | Heated & Bluetooth & Victron Comms can be plugged into the ekrano, one person seems to have gotten it to work, they said: "You have to go into Ekrano settings=>services=>BMS-CAN to make it communicate because it does not have physical BMS-CAN PORT like the Cerbo GX". does that mean it plugs in to the VE.Can? i'm guessing yes, since that is the only option left?

auto-correct tends to mix up eloquent and elegant and i tend to not care since, for the most part, they can be interchanged, at least considering the context where i first started making regular use of the term [ie, an 'eloquent/elegant proof']

BMS-CAN is VE.Can port dedicated for BMS connections that use a 500kbps data rate. VE.CAN ports are configured by default to 250Kbps to interface with Victron components, but they can be configured for 500.

This difference is why there are two ports on the Cerbo. If you have a BMS that happens to work at 250kbps, you can put it on the same CAN port as Victron hardware.

BMS-CAN is limited to 500kbps. VE.Can can be programmed for either 250 or 500kbps.

Ekrano and Cerbo mk2 have 2X VE.Can ports, which gives max flexibility.
Cerbo has 1X VE.Can port, 1X BMS-CAN port.
Cerbo-S has 1X VE.Can port.

I expect the Ekrano is defaulted to 250kbps and needs to be changed to 500. You must install the blue termination plug in the open side of the same CAN port on the Ekrano as I pointed out in post #2.

BMS-CAN is VE.Can port dedicated for BMS connections that use a 500kbps data rate. VE.CAN ports are configured by default to 250Kbps to interface with Victron components, but they can be configured for 500.

This difference is why there are two ports on the Cerbo. If you have a BMS that happens to work at 250kbps, you can put it on the same CAN port as Victron hardware.

BMS-CAN is limited to 500kbps. VE.Can can be programmed for either 250 or 500kbps.

Ekrano and Cerbo mk2 have 2X VE.Can ports, which gives max flexibility.
Cerbo has 1X VE.Can port, 1X BMS-CAN port.
Cerbo-S has 1X VE.Can port.

I expect the Ekrano is defaulted to 250kbps and needs to be changed to 500. You must install the blue termination plug in the open side of the same CAN port on the Ekrano as I pointed out in post #2.
thanks for all your help

diy solar

diy solar
Back