diy solar

diy solar

BMS Overwelming?!?!

JAS

Solar Enthusiast
Hey all,

I'm about to acquire (4) 100AH CALB LifePo4 cells. Looking at a 12v system running a 1000W (2000W Surge) inverter (haven't purchased yet). I was hoping to keep this setup mobile so I can transport it back and forth from home to our cabin. However, I didn't realize the complication of a BMS until I just started researching which one to get...

Option 1: KISS and get a Daly and run everything through the BMS

Option 2: Electrodacus SBMS0

With the Electrodacus, am I understanding correctly that the DSSR20 IS the Solar Charge Controller and I would then not need a MPPT Charge Controller? And if so, does that mean I can't use my existing 24v panel with it? In addition, how would an AC charger come into play?

Regarding the Inverter, I'm looking at the AIG Inverter that looks like it has a Remote Switch option. Does that mean I can utilize that with the Electrodacus? Do I even need to control the Inverter? Won't the Inverter's low voltage cutoff be good enough?

Thanks for any help!

Jeff

Hey all,

I'm about to acquire (4) 100AH CALB LifePo4 cells. Looking at a 12v system running a 1000W (2000W Surge) inverter (haven't purchased yet). I was hoping to keep this setup mobile so I can transport it back and forth from home to our cabin. However, I didn't realize the complication of a BMS until I just started researching which one to get...

Option 1: KISS and get a Daly and run everything through the BMS

Option 2: Electrodacus SBMS0

With the Electrodacus, am I understanding correctly that the DSSR20 IS the Solar Charge Controller and I would then not need a MPPT Charge Controller? And if so, does that mean I can't use my existing 24v panel with it? In addition, how would an AC charger come into play?

Regarding the Inverter, I'm looking at the AIG Inverter that looks like it has a Remote Switch option. Does that mean I can utilize that with the Electrodacus? Do I even need to control the Inverter? Won't the Inverter's low voltage cutoff be good enough?

Thanks for any help!

Jeff
I won't comment on the Daly as I have no experience with it, but I do have the Electrodacus. It may seem intimidating but it really is just about hooking up the remote controls, and just use the default settings which are very good and reasonably conservative. For some equipment such as Victron it is a simple wiring connection, for others it may require a bit of interfacing with optocouplers or relays. You can buy simple modules for these and just wire them up, if you feel you want to tackle that I can point you to some other threads on that.

However, just going with the Daly you could probably find more videos etc. and get more help on this forum for a beginner. There is quite a bit to learn and I don't know what your background is.

On your Electrodacus questions:

Yes the DSSR20 can be your SCC but it is optional. If you use it, you need to match panels to system voltage or it would be very inefficient. If you have a 24V panel which I assume has a Voc somewhere around 40V, that will not work well with the DSSR20 and a 12V system.

But you can also use any other SCC if you wish, as long as it has some way to remote on/off under control of the SBMS0.

As for an AC charger (I assume you mean shore/grid connection), that is just a separate charging source, you can add that or not as you wish, but it has to be remote controllable by the SBMS0

For the inverter, I have not looked at the AIG but as long as the Remote Switch is a direct control of on/off it should work. If it is a momentary switch then likely not a good match. As I mentioned in any case you may need to interface to it with a separate optocoupler or relay depending on the nature of the remote control connections.

Airtime,

Thanks for you feedback!

I had contacted ElectroDacus and Dacian provided quick and helpful answers. (The AIG Inverter will not work)

That being said, my goal was to keep a portable system (not including the panels) that I could transport back and forth. The additional components required for making everything safe and reliable was just starting to add up to a more bulky setup (not to mention costs). I think I'm going to either stick with a packaged battery like a Battleborn or go with a "solar generator"

diy solar

diy solar
Back