diy solar

diy solar

Electrodacus DSSR50 solar charge controller

michael d

off-grid solar pilgrim
I just ordered 4 of the Electrodacus DSSR50 solar charge controllers and they will ship in less than a week...
to my off-grid farm in South Dakota.
I have 4 of the Electrodacus SBMS0 controlling multiple Electroacus DSSR20;s >>> running and charging LiFePO4 battery DIY builds for about 2 plus years now....

The new Electrodacus DSSR50 has new connectors and allows higher amperage inputs so will accommodate larger solar panels etc.
this will be a 24-volt build again,, as the Electrodaus SBMS0 is designed for up to 24-volt control.

from Aliexpress I ordered 8 of the 35mm din rail mount compatible brackets and 30mm bolts to mount the Electrodacus DSSR50 for an improved mounting management setup...

1690883901604.png

Last edited:
Each of the new Electrodacus DSSR50's will have 4 solar PV panels connected to them.

The Electrodacus SBMS0 can control up to 18,000 watts of solar PV panels.!!!!!

Every 2 solar PV panels are connected in parallel pairs at the array so less wire is needed,,,, using Temco premade branch connectors. (Y connectors).
For ease of installation and identification >>> I use 10awg solar PV wire color-coded red (for positive) and black (for negative) from the paired solar PV panels using Temco brand connectors.

All extension cables I make to the needed lengths with a crimper and MC4 connectors using the 10awg solar PV wire.... this 10awg solar PV wire is super tough and rated for outdoor use.....
Do not skimp on the wire quality >>>> IMO >>>> you will later regret the use of cheap lessor quality wire....!!!!!!!

I mount the solar panels at a 45-degree south-facing angle on a DIY fixed array using unistrut and treated 2x6 lumber....
the idea is to get more power to the garage shop off-grid....

Building support cabinets on 5-inch casters for the LiFePO4 batteries and LF inverters,,, trying to stay out of the sun's intense heat this summer....

This is strictly an off-grid stationary build.....
South Dakota has no grid tie incentives so no need to hook to their grid (just a lot of extra expense to do so for no financial return). ?

Last edited:
Electrodacus DSSR50
dacian says in the google groups forum:
The PV AB is where the two PV inputs are combined the PV A+ and PV B+
The simplified diagram on the front panel explains what happens.
The PV AB connector is not to be used when DSSR50 is used as the battery charger. The PV AB connector is to be used in the future with the DMPPT100 when two DSSR50 will be paralleled through that connector and the DMPPT100 will also have that connector and connect there.
The 26.32A is not a problem as is just slightly over 25A continuous spec for the DSSR50 and DSSR50 can handle up to 30A for minutes without the need of any cooling so just passive assuming normal ambient temperature.
1690924203161.png

Electrodacus DSSR50
Dacian's hook up on his system picture below...
shows 2 of the Electrodacus DSSR50's
the google groups forum is a good place to learn more also...
I am documenting design ideas prior to hooking into the Electrodacus SBMS0
1690924330056.png

Electrodacus DSSR50
To clarify a little: >>>>each input is capable of 25 amps (or slightly more) but the design rating is 25 amps per input on the new Electrodacus DSSR50.
what this does for the improved design >>>>is allow 25 amps on PVA+ and 25 amps on PVB+ inputs on the new Electrodacus DSSR50...
I hope this clarifies for some.... it is always a bit challenging to get the points across clear in writing....
1690982858871.png

Electrodacus DSSR50
it stands for "digital solid state relay 50
and the 50 number designation is for the 50 amp capable design....

(((= solar PV charge controller when used with the Electrodacus SBMS0)))

The PV A+ input terminal can do 25amps and PV B+ input terminal can do 25 amps.

The DSSR50 input terminals are more robust.... a definite plus for the new DSSR50 !!!!

Each input is rated for 25 amps, so with two inputs each Electrodacus DSSR50 can deliver up to 50 amps of charging power to your energy storage battery... the Batt + terminal is then connected to the battery on the positive side or to your positive battery busbar...
I use a copper busbar for multiple positive connections.... and a negative busbar for the negative connections.... [[[color coded red or black for ready identification... red insulators or black insulators]]].

I bought 4 of the Electrodacus DSSR50 components so I could charge 200 amps into my LiFePO4 energy storage battery from 16 solar PV panels and can continue expanding as time and resources permit.

The Electrodacus SBMS0 can control up to 18,000 watts of solar PV panels....

When controlled by the Electrodacus SBMS0 via small control wires 23 gauge or so (standard ethernet cables) the solid state relay is closed and allows the maximum charge from the solar PV panels to charge the battery. (((I preferred the solid-strand copper ethernet cables with 4 twisted pairs...)))

The internet website Electrodacus.com has a downloadable pdf user manual for the Electrodacus DSSR50 and the Electrodacus SBMS0 etc.

The Electrodacus SBMS0 is the solar battery management system to protect and properly/safely charge and equally important control the discharge of your expensive LiFePo4 energy storage battery. (((this is my battery of choice presently.))) do not want to overcharge or over-discharge the expensive LiFePO4 battery.... I use 272AH cells or 280AH cells in 24-volt configurations.... so a 4P8S battery (32 cells) is rather expensive and a 2P8S battery (16 cells)is also quite expensive... I think this is definitely the most expensive part of the off-grid solar PV system ( the battery (aka energy storage system)).... ??

You will find that the energy storage battery is the most expensive part of the off-grid solar PV system.... and the BMS (battery management system) is also a critical part to keep the battery charged and discharged correctly for a long life span (hopefully) ?

The Electrodacus components are designed for up to 24-volt nominal systems.... not designed for higher voltage....
the designer chose to keep them low voltage for a safe end-user experience.... you still need to utilize good safety practices when working with 24-volt equipment.... it will work with 12-volt setups also but I am only working with the 24-volt for the Electrodacus components at my off-grid farm...

It rained hard yesterday and the sun is predicted to be mostly hidden by the clouds today so good for some outside time....
have a great relaxing Sunday ?

1691320612701.png

Last edited:
I believe this bms system is basically limited only by the battery itself and the connections. In other words, competing bms systems typically specify a safe discharge current and higher rated ones are more expensive, often much more expensive.

The sbms120 I use could work on a 20A battery system, or a 600A system for the same cost. It could be a 1kwh system, or a 100kwh system. I do not think this is brought up that much, but I see people spending thousands on bms systems and this sbms0 is around $150.

I believe this bms system is basically limited only by the battery itself and the connections. In other words, competing bms systems typically specify a safe discharge current and higher rated ones are more expensive, often much more expensive.

The sbms120 I use could work on a 20A battery system, or a 600A system for the same cost. It could be a 1kwh system, or a 100kwh system. I do not think this is brought up that much, but I see people spending thousands on bms systems and this sbms0 is around $150.
exactly correct... a very good point.
I have 1 32-cell 4P8S battery assembled with 272Ah Lishen cells.....
it would be 1088Ah but I never pull that much from it.... the Electrodacus SBMS0 keeps it balanced without active balancers or any such other expensive add-on equipment.
I also have a couple of 16-cell 2P8S batteries assembled that are 544Ah which are also being balanced by the Electrodacus SBMS0 and have been functioning quite well for a couple 3 years or so...

A fourth battery DIY build is using Eve LF280K 4p8S with 32-cells so the 1120Ah build is also being controlled and balanced by the Electrodacus SBMS0....

I do not normally pull more than 200 amps from the battery but the larger battery reserve is good in case one needs more in the winter or pulls larger loads periodically....
the expensive LiFePO4 battery is the most expensive part of my builds and the BMS is essential for a long life for the batteries... I like the Electodacus SBMS0.

as you correctly say each Electodacus SBMS0 is around 150 dollars delivered in the USA approximately.... a very economical safe solution...
less than 30 volts is considered a safe working voltage by most jurisdictions following the NEC electrical guidelines...
although I have had slight mishaps along the way......so please study up and be careful is my disclaimer to all readers...
ask for help when you need it...

the 24-volt limit is the high end(nominal) but 12-volt systems could also be done...my LifePO4 builds run around 27-28 volts most of the time and I do not have to babysit them every day.... they just work.... the connections are where I have had some issues as to the right amount of torque.... loose connection will be my main issue as I have the fear of ruining a cell from over tightening... !!!!

I do not use 12-volt at all in my DIY battery assemblies....

the Electrodacus DSSR50's arrived this week but I have not had time to set them up to test. I am actively rearranging things outside for the increased ground-mount solar panel arrays which will be elevated to allow for easy snow removal in the winter....

by not mounting the solar PV panels on the roof >>> it is far easier to maintain in all seasons of the year....
I do note that all solar panel manufacturers have a disclaimer to install the solar panels where they get full sun year round... no shaded places so avoid trees and bad roof installs...etc...

I am only using these in stationary off-grid builds....
have great day all.... ?

Normally the DSSR50 will be no further than 2 or 3m from the SBMS0. Keep in mind that the same as DSSR20 the DSSR50 is only designed for indoor use.

Electrodacus DSSR50 solar charge controllers

one Electrodacus DSSR20 can control 2 60-cell or 2 72-cell solar panels for approximately 49 dollars (CAD Canadian dollars), maybe 500 watts or possibly 600 watts.
one Electrodacus DSSR50 ( for 98 dollars CAD Canadian dollars) can control twice that amount or 1000 to 1200 watts approximately at 24-volt ESS battery charging and or diversion or heat etc

the exchange rate favors the USA at the moment so 4 of the new Electrodacus DSSR50's plus shipping cost me 329 USA dollars or $82.50 each roughly (including tax and shipping to the USA!!!!

figure the cost of a MPPT charge controller such as an outback flexmax 80 will cost some 500 dollars and only control 4000 watts or so (I will look it up and edit later....)

one Electrodacus SBMS0 can control 18,000 watts of PV electric solar panels via the Electrodacus DSSR20's or Electrodacus DSSR50's for about a 220-dollar investment for the Electrodacus SBMS0 and be a fully functional BMS.... a typical BMS (battery management system) will cost 150 dollars on up of Chinese origins. so you would also have to factor in that additional expense for comparisons...

I need to put it all into an Excel spreadsheet. to compare... >>> but with the rampant inflation on MPPT charge controllers etc I think the Electrrodacus SBMS0 and Electrodacus DSSR route will look more doable for the DIY folks with some effort involved of course....

DIY is not for everyone but, it is easily scalable a few solar panels at a time....

example>>>> my DIY 32-cell Lishen 24-volt ESS battery currently has an 8 mv cell deviation after 2 plus years of use (mv = millivolts) .... the passive balancing via the Electrodacus SBMS0 works good for solar in my off-grid farm... (subjective but accurate after 2 plus years of use)

1088 ah ESS DIY build via the 32-cel Lishen in a 4P8Sconfiguration... ? ESS = energy storage system
trying to fill in the abbreviations for the new viewers as that was me not that long ago....

just thinking out loud to myself as I order more solar pieces and parts before the end of the year.....
federal income tax credit is 30 percent again in the USA I believe.... so will effectively decrease the cost of investing and ownership of off-grid solar projects hooked up to my off-grid farm...

the Electrodacus DSSR50 is the new version and is built with more robust connection pieces and parts.... this is the solar charge controller which effectively replaces the need for the MPPT as it is the solar charge controller.... but is not an MPPT....

Last edited:
SBMS stands for "solar battery management system" according to the Electrodacus website

Solar BMS (Solar Battery Management System) is a solar charge controller designed to replace the Lead Acid solar charge controllers most people use today in Offgrid, RV, Boats and multiple other applications with 12V and 24V systems.
Solar BMS can be used with 3 up to 8 Lithium cells in series (any type) or even supercapacitors.
Any number of parallel cells are no different from a single larger capacity cell so it will just count as one.
The new SBMS0 plus DSSR20 is replacing all other models and can handle up to 30kW of solar PV using multiple DSSR20.

I copied the above from the Electrodacus website >>>>

Electrodacus DSSR50: solar charge controllers
Today December 30th, 2023 >>> the Electrodacus DSSR50 had a Canadian exchange rate of 1 USD =1.26490 CAD on my order.

so, ((for the new year project))) I ordered 8 of the Electrodacus DSSR50's to charge up my upcoming LiFePO4 25.6-volt battery.
The cost was 653.02 in USD including shipping {{{{ equals 81.6275 dollars each }}}}

each Elecrodacus DSSR50 will be hooked up to four used 290-watt 72-cell used solar PV panels so 8 of the Electrodacus DSSR50 will control 32 solar PV panels for my newest build.
I already acquired the 10AWG solar PV wire and parallel connectors;

from Aliexpress I ordered 8 more of the 35mm din rail mount compatible brackets and 30mm bolts to mount the Electrodacus DSSR50 for an improved mounting management setup...

15 Electrodacus DSSR50 will control 60 solar PV panels with each DSSR50 attached to 4 solar PV panels ( I purchased 60 of the used 290-watt 72 cell used solar panels ) from Santan Solar....

the plan is 4 solar panels at a time expansion and assembly...
working on the solar panel mounts in the cold weather is always a challenge on the fingers ((( with gloves are always too thin or too thick ))) kind of like the 3 bears in goldi locks >>>> never just right!!!

excess solar will help heat the buildings in the cold winter

don't sweat the small stuff >>>> it's all small stuff
can't never did anything
if you think you can>>> if you think you can't >>> either way you will be right!!!

I soon will have 12 of the new Electrdacus DSSR50's and when the budget allows >>> a few more will be ordered...

Last edited:
Electrodacus DSSR50:

The new Electrodacus DSSR50 can control 4 solar panels and a breaker of up to 63 amps is recommended...
I ordered 15 of the Taixi DC 63 amp breakers for this purpose from Aliexpress... they are on the way now..
I am looking to buy 6awg wire but 8awg wire will also be sufficient for my purpose >>>to go between the DSSR50 and the battery
I am looking at silicone wire as these will be short pieces (only 1 piece per DSSR50 is needed so I want red insulated wire...

machine tool wire or welding-type cable with fine strands or tinned copper wire will all work fine.
Buyer's preference as this wiring in my situation will be inside the insulated outdoor solar power shed...

I have used 10awg solar wire on the Electrodacus DSSR20's and it works but is rather stiff, and not flexible/pliable for installation purposes....functional fine but for installation > not pliable...
so I am thinking the more pliable fine strand wire will be a definite installation upgrade for the dssr50's

Dacian the electrical engineer and designer says 6awg will fit...in the DSSR50...
I can go to the local big box store and buy a couple of feet to test the fit.. of a use-2 type stranded wire...
I will use ferrules on the wire...

Spring may be here but we received snow again and it has almost melted now...so mud is definitely here...tulips started to grow but frost set them back...😎

The final plan is 15 DSSR50s with sixty 290-watt 72-cell solar PV panels with some use for heating and cooling via diversion...
Presently working on the larger LiFePO4 battery a fair amount, now in the cool weather...

Have a happy Easter holiday weekend !!!!😎

Back