diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Solar Charge Controller MPPT | 500VDC 100A | MPPT100-48HV sets Code F01

Zwy

Solar Wizard
I have 2 of these charge controllers, one was installed over July 4th weekend, the other unit was installed late July/early August. The first MPPT has worked flawlessly, no problems.

The second MPPT started to set a F01 code- Bus soft start failed after 2 weeks of use. This was right before I was headed out for 2 weeks of vacation so I decided to switch back to grid power while we were gone. Upon returning Monday, I flipped back over to solar power and in the evening the F01 code returned.

I filled out the tech support form on SS website Tuesday morning at about 7am. Never heard back. Decided today that I had some time to call in and see how long I would be on hold. Called at 4:12 PM and finally had a tech on the phone at 4:36 PM. That song playing will give me nightmares in my sleep I heard it so many times. :ROFLMAO:

While waiting, I was on SS website for this charge controller and read the reviews. Ran across this one:

04/24/2023

Ron Little

good performance
So far charge controller is as expected. The display shows a faint data symbol suggesting that data such as kw a day may be displayed, but I can't bring that data up via front panel push buttons. Also at the end of the solar charging day, the unit starts throwing o1 errors. Hopefully there is a software update to address these issues. I will contact Signature Solar to see what they suggest.

I guess I'm not the only one seeing this code. Tech had to check with the supervisor and came back with the response they need photos of the following:

I hope this email finds you well. I am reaching out to request your
assistance in troubleshooting further. We will need ALL photos and
readings requested below to move forward. Photos:

- Wide shot of the overall system installation
- Main Panel
- Sub panels
- Connection of AC input to the inverter (if available)
- Connection of AC output to the inverter
- Connection of PV to the inverter
- Connection of batteries to the inverter
- Inverter screen
Connection of AC input to the Mppt Charge controller (if available)
- Connection of AC output to the Mppt Charge controller
- Connection of PV to the Mppt Charge controller
- Connection of batteries to the Mppt Charge controller
- Mppt Charge controller screen
- Label of the inverter clearly showing the Serial Number and Model Number

Readings:

- PV voltmeter readings
- Battery DC readings on DC In of Inverter as well as battery terminals
- AC output readings
- AC input readings (if available)

In addition, if you are experiencing a warning or fault code, please
provide a short recording of the event. Thank you for your prompt
attention to this matter. I am confident that with your help, we will
be able to resolve any issues and get the system running smoothly.

I still had the tech on the phone and laughed about the AC connections to the inverter and he responded I can ignore any inverter related photo requirements. My guess is that means about 2 photos??? :ROFLMAO:

I asked what criteria causes this code to set. Of course I never really received an answer other than it can be many things such as installer error.

I'm pretty certain it won't be a photo shoot but a video instead. :cool:

Signature solar can't get their stuff right it seems.

Also, asking for all those pics to find the one thing to reject the return for, as they seem to always do.

At this point I think I'd rather take my chances with Alibaba than deal with signature solar.

You know there is no warranty but the price is discounted, instead of paying a premium thinking there is a warranty when there is effectively, none

Last edited:
? good luck
How are the LV6548s working for you?
LV6548's work flawless. No light flicker, power everything. The only thing changed was the LV6548's replaced the EG4 6500EX's. I did have to split my array to get VOC for the 250V VOC of the LV6548's. I ran the system this way for over a month, not an issue.

I installed one EG4 MPPT and left one LV6548 charge controller hooked up, again, no problems. Installed the remaining EG4 MPPT and now that one sets the F01 code usually at the end of the day.

It seems EG4 can't seem to get things right. Video will be coming. Screw the photos.

Signature solar can't get their stuff right it seems.

Also, asking for all those pics to find the one thing to reject the return for, as they seem to always do.

At this point I think I'd rather take my chances with Alibaba than deal with signature solar.

You know there is no warranty but the price is discounted, instead of paying a premium thinking there is a warranty when there is effectively, none
Where do you find a 500VOC rated MPPT for the price of the EG4? I could not find one.

These are simple MPPT, no fancy display, just a few settings. Input PV and hook up battery cables. That's it, not complicated.

It's an internal bus failure, I'll have to play the game with EG4 once again.

Sent them the photos plus a short video with the information they wanted yesterday on the 12th at 6:06 pm. Received an email today at 5:23 pm that my case was automatically closed because they hadn't heard from me in 7 days. I received the email requesting the photos on Sept 6th at 4:53 pm.

Last time I checked, there are 6 days from Sept 6th to Sept 12th.

Not scoring any good vibes from SS. I'll be certain to mention this in my upcoming review of this product.

Sent them the photos plus a short video with the information they wanted yesterday on the 12th at 6:06 pm. Received an email today at 5:23 pm that my case was automatically closed because they hadn't heard from me in 7 days. I received the email requesting the photos on Sept 6th at 4:53 pm.

Last time I checked, there are 6 days from Sept 6th to Sept 12th.

Not scoring any good vibes from SS. I'll be certain to mention this in my upcoming review of this product.
They can't help themselves. It seems they have a CULTURE of not taking ownership of defective products.

Leave your review quickly. I think they only give a certain number of days for that ?

They can't help themselves. It seems they have a CULTURE of not taking ownership of defective products.

Leave your review quickly. I think they only give a certain number of days for that ?
A review won't be on their site, it will be in video format at Youtube. I've been putting off the review due to the code setting but may get one done soon. Probably this weekend.

I guess I can put a time limit on the them just like they do to us.

Where do you find a 500VOC rated MPPT for the price of the EG4? I could not find one.

These are simple MPPT, no fancy display, just a few settings. Input PV and hook up battery cables. That's it, not complicated.

It's an internal bus failure, I'll have to play the game with EG4 once again.
My sungold is 450 volts that's just 50 volts difference and works 100% of the time :)

Anything eg4 has that has a matching sungold part number will work and Sungold seems to have a heck of a lot better support....

My sungold is 450 volts that's just 50 volts difference and works 100% of the time :)

Anything eg4 has that has a matching sungold part number will work and Sungold seems to have a heck of a lot better support....
Do you have a link to this?

From the manual page 9.

Solar Charging Mode
INVERTER MODEL BluePower TP6048
Max. PV Array Open Circuit Voltage 450 Vdc
PV Array MPPT Voltage Range 120~430Vdc
MPP Number 1

So 430vdc mppt range but it can safely take 450 volts.

From the manual.

Solar Charging Mode
INVERTER MODEL BluePower TP6048
Max. PV Array Open Circuit Voltage 450 Vdc
PV Array MPPT Voltage Range 120~430Vdc
MPP Number 1

So 430vdc mppt range but it can safely take 450 volts.
Oh, that's the complete aio. I'm looking for just a charge controller. Thanks though.

Oh, that's the complete aio. I'm looking for just a charge controller. Thanks though.
Definitely to much money on this one for just a charge controller being needed. But it does 120 amps so it makes a nice battery charger :)

But way to much to spend for just that.

I had posted to start with where I noticed the question about his LV6548's and thought this was an aio and didn't notice he was just talking about charge controllers.. Ooops :whistle:

Definitely to much money on this one for just a charge controller being needed. But it does 120 amps so it makes a nice battery charger :)

But way to much to spend for just that.

I had posted to start with where I noticed the question about his LV6548's and thought this was an aio and didn't notice he was just talking about charge controllers.. Ooops :whistle:
That's OK, in some ways one might be better off with a AIO and just use the charge controller. The AIO could be used for an inverter in an emergency.

This is a simple charge controller, it doesn't have any bells or whistles, just an annoying alarm when it sets a code and has a display. The choices on setup are not much, USER will allow you to set bulk and float, the alarm on/off (which the manual may not correctly list the setting correctly), the backlight, and charging current. There is a Modbus ID setting, that most likely would be used for the EG4 battery communication. However this is in the manual:

Setting for lithium battery with communication

Caution:When the charger and inverter are communicating to the battery system simultaneously, the system maybe unstable. It is best to connect the BMS of the battery to the inverter and disconnect the MPPT chargercommunication. Then let the charger work without communication in user-defined mode

Basically, you would be using USER defined charging anyway.

Only 5 wires are attached, PV positive and negative, battery positive and negative and the EGC to the case.

Update, tech support finally contacted me after I released a video about this charge controller and the customer service.

First, they wanted a time to discuss the matter on the phone but they emailed me at the time the call was to come and missed the allotted time I set aside for the call. They wanted to reschedule the call, I told them I had customers to take care of.

I'm busy this time of year so instead I emailed them back early this morning:

I'm currently working 12 to 14 hour days and my schedule changes by the hour. More photos really aren't needed, I will explain what is occurring and I've corresponded with other people who have purchased this charge controller and are seeing the same code. I was unaware when I talked to XXXXX on the phone that both charge controllers have the same fault code. I originally only thought it was only one. Everyone who owns the unit and sees this fault code have only seen the code set in the evening in low light conditions.

The charge controllers boot up every morning and begin charging. The controllers work fine all day. It is in the evening when the fault codes will set and it is intermittent, the code may not set for weeks, then it might set for several days in a row. I have been trying to determine if this is when the batteries have not reached bulk and float charge settings. This is with USE settings and no battery communication. I actually think it is when the bulk charge voltage has not been reached during the day and batteries did not reach 100% state of charge. This only occurs in the evening and I have yet to determine if clouds can have an effect. What I think is occurring is the array string voltage will drop below 80V and the charge controller powers down. Array voltage may be rising above 80V or whatever voltage causes the charge controller to boot up and I think this is when the charge controller sets the F01 code for bus start failure. Most likely the MPPT begins searching for the max power point and as the battery has not reached full charge, the MPPT will try to charge at max charge current. There isn't enough incoming power from the array string as daylight is fading and the unit shuts down setting the code. I have not had time to determine exact conditions for this code to set.

As daylight completely ends, the charge controllers power down and the fault code is cleared. In the morning the charge controllers will boot up at sunrise normally and charging begins. The charge controllers do not have a problem until evening with the right conditions.

The annoying part of this I think most find objectionable is the alarm goes off when the fault code occurs even with Setting 6 set to Mode 1 (Alarm muted) the alarm will still sound. I think most could care less about the fault code setting in the evening and being cleared out when the unit shuts down charging for the day and charges normally in the morning. I currently have Setting 6 set on one unit at Mode 3 and have not heard the alarm since, but I am not certain if the F01 code has set again.

This most likely is a firmware issue but it could be a hardware problem where a circuit board has a poor connection. First thing that needs to be determined is what criteria sets this code. I asked XXXX and received the response that it could be an installer error which I did not appreciate. I've worked as a tech on diagnosing electrical problems on DC circuits for over 25 years. EG4 needs to ask the engineers what causes this code to be set before any real diagnosis begins and what part of the firmware needs to be corrected.

I received back the following response:

For us to properly assess whether a setting, system configuration, or faulty equipment is causing the unit to not work as intended, below is a list of pictures we will NEED for troubleshooting. Please keep in mind we will NEED EVERY picture to proceed with this claim. We CANNOT proceed to the next step of the process until we receive ALL REQUIRED photos. ALL VOLTAGE READINGS MUST BE TAKEN WITH A VOLTMETER OR MULTIMETER AT THE INVERTER TERMINALS! ALL READINGS MUST INCLUDE THE READING AND THE LOCATION OF THE READING! If the system does not power on, you may ignore ORANGE items; however, we will need video of the unit not turning on. Please send us the following information: System Information 1. System startup procedure 2. Panel configuration i. how many in series ii. how many in parallel 3. Please also include a written/typed list with your current inverter settings Pictures 1. Wide shot of overall system installation 2. Product Labels clearly showing serial numbers 3. Main Loads Panel 4. Sub panels 5. How AC input is connected to inverter at the terminals (if available) 6. How AC output is connected to the inverter at the terminals 7. How PV input is connected to the inverter at the terminals 8. How Batteries are connected to the inverter at the terminals 9. Inverter screen (including any fault or warning codes) 10. (FROM MULTIMETER) Battery voltage at battery terminals 11. (FROM MULTIMETER) Battery voltage at inverter terminals 12. (FROM MULTIMETER) PV voltage at inverter terminals 13. (FROM MULTIMETER) PV voltage at PV Disconnect 14. (FROM MULTIMETER) AC output voltage readings 15. (FROM MULTIMETER) AC input voltage readings (if available) 16. (FROM MULTIMETER) Ohms reading from battery input terminals on inverter. (Remove cables first) IMPORTANT: We CANNOT move forward in the troubleshooting process until we receive each and every picture in the list above. Thank you for your patience!

What is so hard about them testing a unit to see it for themselves? I'm now employed by Signature Solar without wages to show them the problem? My guess is they never tested any units.

I will respond, she won't like it but this is getting ridiculous. I'm not looking for returning items, I just want them to test a unit under the conditions I noted and come up with a solution/firmware to fix the code setting.

Update, tech support finally contacted me after I released a video about this charge controller and the customer service.

First, they wanted a time to discuss the matter on the phone but they emailed me at the time the call was to come and missed the allotted time I set aside for the call. They wanted to reschedule the call, I told them I had customers to take care of.

I'm busy this time of year so instead I emailed them back early this morning:

I'm currently working 12 to 14 hour days and my schedule changes by the hour. More photos really aren't needed, I will explain what is occurring and I've corresponded with other people who have purchased this charge controller and are seeing the same code. I was unaware when I talked to XXXXX on the phone that both charge controllers have the same fault code. I originally only thought it was only one. Everyone who owns the unit and sees this fault code have only seen the code set in the evening in low light conditions.

The charge controllers boot up every morning and begin charging. The controllers work fine all day. It is in the evening when the fault codes will set and it is intermittent, the code may not set for weeks, then it might set for several days in a row. I have been trying to determine if this is when the batteries have not reached bulk and float charge settings. This is with USE settings and no battery communication. I actually think it is when the bulk charge voltage has not been reached during the day and batteries did not reach 100% state of charge. This only occurs in the evening and I have yet to determine if clouds can have an effect. What I think is occurring is the array string voltage will drop below 80V and the charge controller powers down. Array voltage may be rising above 80V or whatever voltage causes the charge controller to boot up and I think this is when the charge controller sets the F01 code for bus start failure. Most likely the MPPT begins searching for the max power point and as the battery has not reached full charge, the MPPT will try to charge at max charge current. There isn't enough incoming power from the array string as daylight is fading and the unit shuts down setting the code. I have not had time to determine exact conditions for this code to set.

As daylight completely ends, the charge controllers power down and the fault code is cleared. In the morning the charge controllers will boot up at sunrise normally and charging begins. The charge controllers do not have a problem until evening with the right conditions.

The annoying part of this I think most find objectionable is the alarm goes off when the fault code occurs even with Setting 6 set to Mode 1 (Alarm muted) the alarm will still sound. I think most could care less about the fault code setting in the evening and being cleared out when the unit shuts down charging for the day and charges normally in the morning. I currently have Setting 6 set on one unit at Mode 3 and have not heard the alarm since, but I am not certain if the F01 code has set again.

This most likely is a firmware issue but it could be a hardware problem where a circuit board has a poor connection. First thing that needs to be determined is what criteria sets this code. I asked XXXX and received the response that it could be an installer error which I did not appreciate. I've worked as a tech on diagnosing electrical problems on DC circuits for over 25 years. EG4 needs to ask the engineers what causes this code to be set before any real diagnosis begins and what part of the firmware needs to be corrected.

I received back the following response:

For us to properly assess whether a setting, system configuration, or faulty equipment is causing the unit to not work as intended, below is a list of pictures we will NEED for troubleshooting. Please keep in mind we will NEED EVERY picture to proceed with this claim. We CANNOT proceed to the next step of the process until we receive ALL REQUIRED photos. ALL VOLTAGE READINGS MUST BE TAKEN WITH A VOLTMETER OR MULTIMETER AT THE INVERTER TERMINALS! ALL READINGS MUST INCLUDE THE READING AND THE LOCATION OF THE READING! If the system does not power on, you may ignore ORANGE items; however, we will need video of the unit not turning on. Please send us the following information: System Information 1. System startup procedure 2. Panel configuration i. how many in series ii. how many in parallel 3. Please also include a written/typed list with your current inverter settings Pictures 1. Wide shot of overall system installation 2. Product Labels clearly showing serial numbers 3. Main Loads Panel 4. Sub panels 5. How AC input is connected to inverter at the terminals (if available) 6. How AC output is connected to the inverter at the terminals 7. How PV input is connected to the inverter at the terminals 8. How Batteries are connected to the inverter at the terminals 9. Inverter screen (including any fault or warning codes) 10. (FROM MULTIMETER) Battery voltage at battery terminals 11. (FROM MULTIMETER) Battery voltage at inverter terminals 12. (FROM MULTIMETER) PV voltage at inverter terminals 13. (FROM MULTIMETER) PV voltage at PV Disconnect 14. (FROM MULTIMETER) AC output voltage readings 15. (FROM MULTIMETER) AC input voltage readings (if available) 16. (FROM MULTIMETER) Ohms reading from battery input terminals on inverter. (Remove cables first) IMPORTANT: We CANNOT move forward in the troubleshooting process until we receive each and every picture in the list above. Thank you for your patience!

What is so hard about them testing a unit to see it for themselves? I'm now employed by Signature Solar without wages to show them the problem? My guess is they never tested any units.

I will respond, she won't like it but this is getting ridiculous. I'm not looking for returning items, I just want them to test a unit under the conditions I noted and come up with a solution/firmware to fix the code setting.

When I was employed in the software industry, I was on the systems side and I had to deal with the likes of IBM, Microsoft, etc. Developers interfaced with Users. A common joke/practice for application developers used to work out bugs in their systems was called the 'monkey test'.

They would deploy a system or a change and let the users find all the problems (bugs) and report them. The developers would go in and make the fixes. This was a continuous loop until the complaints ceased or the system was 'verified' as functionally stable.

I hope you see what they're trying to rope you into.

Back