diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Solar Charge Controller MPPT | 500VDC 100A | MPPT100-48HV sets Code F01

Update, tech support finally contacted me after I released a video about this charge controller and the customer service.

First, they wanted a time to discuss the matter on the phone but they emailed me at the time the call was to come and missed the allotted time I set aside for the call. They wanted to reschedule the call, I told them I had customers to take care of.

I'm busy this time of year so instead I emailed them back early this morning:

I'm currently working 12 to 14 hour days and my schedule changes by the hour. More photos really aren't needed, I will explain what is occurring and I've corresponded with other people who have purchased this charge controller and are seeing the same code. I was unaware when I talked to XXXXX on the phone that both charge controllers have the same fault code. I originally only thought it was only one. Everyone who owns the unit and sees this fault code have only seen the code set in the evening in low light conditions.

The charge controllers boot up every morning and begin charging. The controllers work fine all day. It is in the evening when the fault codes will set and it is intermittent, the code may not set for weeks, then it might set for several days in a row. I have been trying to determine if this is when the batteries have not reached bulk and float charge settings. This is with USE settings and no battery communication. I actually think it is when the bulk charge voltage has not been reached during the day and batteries did not reach 100% state of charge. This only occurs in the evening and I have yet to determine if clouds can have an effect. What I think is occurring is the array string voltage will drop below 80V and the charge controller powers down. Array voltage may be rising above 80V or whatever voltage causes the charge controller to boot up and I think this is when the charge controller sets the F01 code for bus start failure. Most likely the MPPT begins searching for the max power point and as the battery has not reached full charge, the MPPT will try to charge at max charge current. There isn't enough incoming power from the array string as daylight is fading and the unit shuts down setting the code. I have not had time to determine exact conditions for this code to set.

As daylight completely ends, the charge controllers power down and the fault code is cleared. In the morning the charge controllers will boot up at sunrise normally and charging begins. The charge controllers do not have a problem until evening with the right conditions.

The annoying part of this I think most find objectionable is the alarm goes off when the fault code occurs even with Setting 6 set to Mode 1 (Alarm muted) the alarm will still sound. I think most could care less about the fault code setting in the evening and being cleared out when the unit shuts down charging for the day and charges normally in the morning. I currently have Setting 6 set on one unit at Mode 3 and have not heard the alarm since, but I am not certain if the F01 code has set again.

This most likely is a firmware issue but it could be a hardware problem where a circuit board has a poor connection. First thing that needs to be determined is what criteria sets this code. I asked XXXX and received the response that it could be an installer error which I did not appreciate. I've worked as a tech on diagnosing electrical problems on DC circuits for over 25 years. EG4 needs to ask the engineers what causes this code to be set before any real diagnosis begins and what part of the firmware needs to be corrected.

I received back the following response:

For us to properly assess whether a setting, system configuration, or faulty equipment is causing the unit to not work as intended, below is a list of pictures we will NEED for troubleshooting. Please keep in mind we will NEED EVERY picture to proceed with this claim. We CANNOT proceed to the next step of the process until we receive ALL REQUIRED photos. ALL VOLTAGE READINGS MUST BE TAKEN WITH A VOLTMETER OR MULTIMETER AT THE INVERTER TERMINALS! ALL READINGS MUST INCLUDE THE READING AND THE LOCATION OF THE READING! If the system does not power on, you may ignore ORANGE items; however, we will need video of the unit not turning on. Please send us the following information: System Information 1. System startup procedure 2. Panel configuration i. how many in series ii. how many in parallel 3. Please also include a written/typed list with your current inverter settings Pictures 1. Wide shot of overall system installation 2. Product Labels clearly showing serial numbers 3. Main Loads Panel 4. Sub panels 5. How AC input is connected to inverter at the terminals (if available) 6. How AC output is connected to the inverter at the terminals 7. How PV input is connected to the inverter at the terminals 8. How Batteries are connected to the inverter at the terminals 9. Inverter screen (including any fault or warning codes) 10. (FROM MULTIMETER) Battery voltage at battery terminals 11. (FROM MULTIMETER) Battery voltage at inverter terminals 12. (FROM MULTIMETER) PV voltage at inverter terminals 13. (FROM MULTIMETER) PV voltage at PV Disconnect 14. (FROM MULTIMETER) AC output voltage readings 15. (FROM MULTIMETER) AC input voltage readings (if available) 16. (FROM MULTIMETER) Ohms reading from battery input terminals on inverter. (Remove cables first) IMPORTANT: We CANNOT move forward in the troubleshooting process until we receive each and every picture in the list above. Thank you for your patience!

What is so hard about them testing a unit to see it for themselves? I'm now employed by Signature Solar without wages to show them the problem? My guess is they never tested any units.

I will respond, she won't like it but this is getting ridiculous. I'm not looking for returning items, I just want them to test a unit under the conditions I noted and come up with a solution/firmware to fix the code setting.
This is ridiculous. Is this even legal? If a customer says something is broken they should say "send it back let's fix it or replace it under warranty, not "send us a thousand pictures".

Are there any lawyers here? This feels illegal but I don't know

There is a firmware update to fix this problem you are experiencing. Was this not offered to you?
No mention of it, I asked about a firmware fix on the phone and again in emails.

One more thing, the tech support or RMA person I'm currently dealing with doesn't know the difference between a charge controller and an inverter as you can see above in the response sent to me.

I looked before on the EG4 Electronics website for a firmware update also. And I did have another person who responded to my Youtube review of your product and support that is looking for a fix. Also, on the product webpage for your product, there was a review that stated the exact same problem, wouldn't it have been smart to show a response indicating there was a firmware fix?

Give it to me Markus and make it available to the public and also train your dang support people to mention there is a firmware update.

Resolving Problems With Products​

If you have a problem with a product

• Try to resolve the problem with the retailer first.
  • If you can’t resolve the problem with the retailer, write to the manufacturer. Your warranty should list the address of the company that provides the warranty. You may want to send your letter by certified mail and request a return receipt, so you’ll have proof that the company got your letter and signed for it.
Having a warranty doesn't mean you’ll automatically get a refund if a product is defective. The company may have a right to try to fix it before it gives you a refund. But if you report a defect to the company during the warranty period and the product isn’t fixed properly, the company must correct the problem, even if your warranty expires before the product is fixed.

Report Problems​

If your letter or emails don’t resolve the issue, report problems with a company to

When I was employed in the software industry, I was on the systems side and I had to deal with the likes of IBM, Microsoft, etc. Developers interfaced with Users. A common joke/practice for application developers used to work out bugs in their systems was called the 'monkey test'.

They would deploy a system or a change and let the users find all the problems (bugs) and report them. The developers would go in and make the fixes. This was a continuous loop until the complaints ceased or the system was 'verified' as functionally stable.

I hope you see what they're trying to rope you into.
They won't like my response to that email.

The support people at SS/EG4 have no idea what to do and are poorly trained.

Resolving Problems With Products​

If you have a problem with a product

• Try to resolve the problem with the retailer first.
  • If you can’t resolve the problem with the retailer, write to the manufacturer. Your warranty should list the address of the company that provides the warranty. You may want to send your letter by certified mail and request a return receipt, so you’ll have proof that the company got your letter and signed for it.
Having a warranty doesn't mean you’ll automatically get a refund if a product is defective. The company may have a right to try to fix it before it gives you a refund. But if you report a defect to the company during the warranty period and the product isn’t fixed properly, the company must correct the problem, even if your warranty expires before the product is fixed.

Report Problems​

If your letter or emails don’t resolve the issue, report problems with a company to

I'm not looking for a return of the product. I'm looking for fix.

We will get there, the video I did helps with the pressure on SS/EG4 to fix the issue. The charge controller works as intended, it just sets this code under low light conditions.

No mention of it, I asked about a firmware fix on the phone and again in emails.

One more thing, the tech support or RMA person I'm currently dealing with doesn't know the difference between a charge controller and an inverter as you can see above in the response sent to me.

I looked before on the EG4 Electronics website for a firmware update also. And I did have another person who responded to my Youtube review of your product and support that is looking for a fix. Also, on the product webpage for your product, there was a review that stated the exact same problem, wouldn't it have been smart to show a response indicating there was a firmware fix?

Give it to me Markus and make it available to the public and also train your dang support people to mention there is a firmware update.
They have been reworking the EG4 website. I have not been able to add firmware to it for a week. I should have seen this post earlier and could of saved you some headache.

Did the update fix the error?
Haven't been able to install it, have the wrong cable. :)

Cable that comes with the charge controller is RS485 (SCC port) and RJ45 on the other which is for battery communication. The correct cable was shipped out yesterday.

I haven't heard the alarm in some time. It seems if the battery bank doesn't reach 100% SOC and bulk charge voltage, the unit might set the code. As I've been at 100% SOC by noon everyday lately, it hasn't set a code. I might drain down the battery today and then turn PV back on later to see if any code sets.

I watched Zwy's video on you tube. His set up is nice and professionally installed. I'm sure as soon as the right person from SS seen it, they would agree.

I watched Zwy's video on you tube. His set up is nice and professionally installed. I'm sure as soon as the right person from SS seen it, they would agree.
I have more videos in the works. I'll do one on this MPPT once the matter is resolved. Need to do one on my array and mount, another on the LV6548's and another on the Batrium. I should do my camper setup sometime too.

My wife says I have too many projects........ :)

Update on updating firmware:

Correct custom cable arrived today in the mail, I did update firmware in one MPPT. I intend to release a video showing the process after I update the second MPPT.

Here is the custom cable I recieved. I had a USB to RS485 cable used on my Batrium but it not work. Also, you will want the driver for this cable in addition to the firmware file that contains the update application. Pretty quick and easy. The units need to be powered up to update firmware and that requires PV input.

EG4 custom cable.jpg

Hi @Zwy - how'd the second f/w update go? And where did you download the firmware from?

I've got a similar low light screaming F01 code issue on my 500v MPPTs, just in the morning not in the evening. It'd be nice to be able to sleep in.

Thanks!

Hi @Zwy - how'd the second f/w update go? And where did you download the firmware from?

I've got a similar low light screaming F01 code issue on my 500v MPPTs, just in the morning not in the evening. It'd be nice to be able to sleep in.

Thanks!
Hello MightyBigCar, the firmware can be found here https://eg4electronics.com/backend/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/MPPT-upgrade.zip If you need the cable Zwy showed above to perform the update please let me know. If you have any other questions please DM me and I will be happy to help.

Back