diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Solar Charge Controller MPPT | 500VDC 100A | MPPT100-48HV sets Code F01

I have 2 of these charge controllers, one was installed over July 4th weekend, the other unit was installed late July/early August. The first MPPT has worked flawlessly, no problems.

The second MPPT started to set a F01 code- Bus soft start failed after 2 weeks of use. This was right before I was headed out for 2 weeks of vacation so I decided to switch back to grid power while we were gone. Upon returning Monday, I flipped back over to solar power and in the evening the F01 code returned.

I filled out the tech support form on SS website Tuesday morning at about 7am. Never heard back. Decided today that I had some time to call in and see how long I would be on hold. Called at 4:12 PM and finally had a tech on the phone at 4:36 PM. That song playing will give me nightmares in my sleep I heard it so many times. :ROFLMAO:

While waiting, I was on SS website for this charge controller and read the reviews. Ran across this one:

04/24/2023

Ron Little

good performance
So far charge controller is as expected. The display shows a faint data symbol suggesting that data such as kw a day may be displayed, but I can't bring that data up via front panel push buttons. Also at the end of the solar charging day, the unit starts throwing o1 errors. Hopefully there is a software update to address these issues. I will contact Signature Solar to see what they suggest.

I guess I'm not the only one seeing this code. Tech had to check with the supervisor and came back with the response they need photos of the following:

I hope this email finds you well. I am reaching out to request your
assistance in troubleshooting further. We will need ALL photos and
readings requested below to move forward. Photos:

- Wide shot of the overall system installation
- Main Panel
- Sub panels
- Connection of AC input to the inverter (if available)
- Connection of AC output to the inverter
- Connection of PV to the inverter
- Connection of batteries to the inverter
- Inverter screen

Connection of AC input to the Mppt Charge controller (if available)
- Connection of AC output to the Mppt Charge controller
- Connection of PV to the Mppt Charge controller
- Connection of batteries to the Mppt Charge controller
- Mppt Charge controller screen
- Label of the inverter clearly showing the Serial Number and Model Number

Readings:

- PV voltmeter readings
- Battery DC readings on DC In of Inverter as well as battery terminals
- AC output readings
- AC input readings (if available)

In addition, if you are experiencing a warning or fault code, please
provide a short recording of the event. Thank you for your prompt
attention to this matter. I am confident that with your help, we will
be able to resolve any issues and get the system running smoothly.

I still had the tech on the phone and laughed about the AC connections to the inverter and he responded I can ignore any inverter related photo requirements. My guess is that means about 2 photos??? :ROFLMAO:

I asked what criteria causes this code to set. Of course I never really received an answer other than it can be many things such as installer error.

I'm pretty certain it won't be a photo shoot but a video instead. :cool:
Mine blew too if it makes you feel any better. It ran fine for a while ... till it didn't.

Mine blew too if it makes you feel any better. It ran fine for a while ... till it didn't.
Mine still worked fine, the units would set a false F01 code. I just finished installing the firmware update. I'm running 4.3Kw thru these under full sun and that is off 4.24Kw of panels.

I do have some questions on what happened to your units. What was the VOC? My panels are 49.5VOC and 8S per charge controller. When running, I'm seeing 360V to 380V usually as Vmp on the display and verified with a multimeter.

Was there any sudden disconnect? It appears you were feeding on the DC bus. Any breakers trip?

Any other information about your failure would be appreciated. When the code would set, the only way to clear it out was to power down the unit. Either by turning off the PV or if the sun set and PV voltage dropped below 80V and shut the unit down for the night.

I've had one of these running since July 4th. It's been trouble free except it set the bus code once.

Hi @Zwy - how'd the second f/w update go? And where did you download the firmware from?

I've got a similar low light screaming F01 code issue on my 500v MPPTs, just in the morning not in the evening. It'd be nice to be able to sleep in.

Thanks!
I go over the firmware update process in this video, hope this helps with your problem.

This is ridiculous. Is this even legal? If a customer says something is broken they should say "send it back let's fix it or replace it under warranty, not "send us a thousand pictures".

Are there any lawyers here? This feels illegal but I don't know
Totally agree

Back