diy solar

diy solar

BMS recomendation ?

JohnRS

Dear all, anyone who can recomend a good 8S 24V BMS which has all the features, low and high voltage, low temperature cut off, min 100A charging current, short circuit, balancing etc.
br John

How did you not see the godzilla thread?

How did you not see the godzilla thread?

Thanks for the link. I have seen that of course and also Will’s great enthusiastic review and video. Being an EE and sailor for maybe too many years, I’m reluctant to install such a critical component in my boat, that has not been built like a Victron (for example) nor tested for at least a year in real, challenging, marine environments. At this point, I think I would add a stand-alone low temp controller and relay to cutoff the charging without cutting off the batteries output. - will be happy to report on the results once done.

Thanks for the link. I have seen that of course and also Will’s great enthusiastic review and video. Being an EE and sailor for maybe too many years, I’m reluctant to install such a critical component in my boat, that has not been built like a Victron (for example) nor tested for at least a year in real, challenging, marine environments. At this point, I think I would add a stand-alone low temp controller and relay to cutoff the charging without cutting off the batteries output. - will be happy to report on the results once done.

No doubt, Will's BMS would be a huge step more reliable in a marine environment if everything was designed and coated for water resistance. I'd give one a shot if it had all Will's features, bluetooth iPhone app, settings configuration plus coated? Please chime in if you've found anything guys. I'm fresh water though, not much corrosion...

If you have a Victron SCC (and it is your only charge source) you can let it handle low temp disconnect for you (with the addition of the external temp sensor).

If you haven't already, you should read the MarineHowTo and NordkynDesign articles linked in my signature. Great marine focused articles on LFP and LFP system design.

I am searching for a BMS for a 200ah LiFePO4 system for our full time live aboard sailboat. I need one that can Control Tyco BDS-A latching relays and would also like low temp charge shut off ? ? Any help please

I am searching for a BMS for a 200ah LiFePO4 system for our full time live aboard sailboat. I need one that can Control Tyco BDS-A latching relays and would also like low temp charge shut off ? ? Any help please
Im installing the REC-BMS (http://www.rec-bms.com/BMS.html) its waterproof and has 2 relay options and octocoupler. It also directly controls the victron gear via the can-bus comms channel. It has low temp cut off too. I will use the BVM-712 shunt which saves a little $$ when purchasing the REC. They have great customer service and you buy directly from them. Let me know if you want more info and i can share more details of my planned system. 1440w solar/1120ah LFP.

Im installing the REC-BMS (http://www.rec-bms.com/BMS.html) its waterproof and has 2 relay options and octocoupler. It also directly controls the victron gear via the can-bus comms channel. It has low temp cut off too. I will use the BVM-712 shunt which saves a little $$ when purchasing the REC. They have great customer service and you buy directly from them. Let me know if you want more info and i can share more details of my planned system. 1440w solar/1120ah LFP.
How much do these things cost?

How much do these things cost?

This is my invoice details. the total was about $500 USD. IMO well worth the extra to get get bluetooth and the cable to connect to the PC. Its unfortunate they charge for software.. but again it seems to be rock solid and is waterproof. I didnt get their recommended contactor (tyco) as im leveraging victron smart battery protects instead.

REC Active BMS 4S (Victron compatible) + temperature sensor (1x)
Complete wiring of ABMS connector
BlueTooth Low Energy module for REC BMS
PC connection cable RS-485 to USB for PC Software BMS Master Control
Cable CAN (DB9 to RJ45)
Parcel costs

Thank you for that. Can only find it as a series BMS, my battery is 2p4s . I am ignorant as green grass with all this

Can only find it as a series BMS, my battery is 2p4s
All BMS's are this way. The "2p" gets a single lead from the BMS
and is treated as a single cell. I have this setup with a 4S BMS, its
fairly common.

(edit: second guessing whether i should have used "All BMS's" ...)

Back