diy solar

diy solar

BMS to work with Victron Multiplus 3000

scottpeter

I am looking to build a 300ah bank for use with my Multiplus on my sailboat.

This will be used for galley appliances: induction cooker, microwave, toaster oven and Nespresso.

My max draw will be 150 amps, for up to 20 minutes.

Leaning towards the JBD 4s 200 amp.

Any crticisms of this setup, or recommendations for an alternative?

Last edited:
That will work.

I do recommend measuring your actual loads with a kilawatt meter and multiplying by 1.15 to figure inverter conversion losses. A larger microwave may exceed the 150 amp limit with inverter conversion losses, but will not exceed a 200 amp limit. It’s possible a Nesspresso will do the same thing; the coffee makers I have measured go from 500 watts up to 1600 watts.

I can see that the multiplus could only power one or two of those items at once, so you’d need to watch the loads. For me, that is not a problem, but anyone else usually has issues with limits either forgetting or exceeding them for “just a little bit.”

That will work.

I do recommend measuring your actual loads with a kilawatt meter and multiplying by 1.15 to figure inverter conversion losses. A larger microwave may exceed the 150 amp limit with inverter conversion losses, but will not exceed a 200 amp limit. It’s possible a Nesspresso will do the same thing; the coffee makers I have measured go from 500 watts up to 1600 watts.

I can see that the multiplus could only power one or two of those items at once, so you’d need to watch the loads. For me, that is not a problem, but anyone else usually has issues with limits either forgetting or exceeding them for “just a little bit.”
You will need to watch out that there are not other inductive loads attached to the LFP bank (like an anchor windlass or electric winch) as they have very high start up current...

I assume this is 3000VA multiplus. 300ah/12v bank is pretty small for an inverter of that size. Wire length, gauge and connections would need to be very carefully managed.

You will need to watch out that there are not other inductive loads attached to the LFP bank (like an anchor windlass or electric winch) as they have very high start up current...
The LiPo bank will only be for the galley, connected solely to the inverter. I have Fla banks for the 12v loads. One 400ah Rolls, and a 200ah AGM for inductive loads.

But my main question is which current BMS should I be looking at?

I like the Muller with it’s display screen, but it seems to cost a premium over other 200a BMS.

I do mostly coastal cruising, and run the galley about 30 minutes in total each day

But my main question is which current BMS should I be looking at?

I like the Muller with it’s display screen, but it seems to cost a premium over other 200a BMS.

I do mostly coastal cruising, and run the galley about 30 minutes in total each day
I personally like the Electrodacus. But requires a lot of work some expense to implement.

I have a 200a JBD connected to 460ah 12v bank for two years now at our 3 season camp. I’ve only loaded it up to about 1300w, so about ~100a, running a coffee maker for say 20 min.

I have zero complaints and despite what other say you can balance the cells if you have enough time where cells are above 3.4v and you turn off “balance while charging”.

I also enjoy the overkill BMS app, zero hiccups.

If I had to pick a negative it’s the mounting the BMS isn’t the most direct, but there’s plenty of meat on the heat sink to get creative.

The JBD is nice. I had a 200A 4s, but it had a problem where it would shut off the output current of the battery when I disconnected the charger, so I went with a JK.

What I like about the JBD is you can use different apps with it like the Overkill app and its balancing worked great for my batteries. The downside is the mounting options are non-existant. There aren't any mounting holes so this is how I mounted it:

HGOQiq1.jpg

Sfk posted this a while back showing victron communication on there kits:

They have a kit with the com port starting at around $305 plus cost of cells.

Back