diy solar

diy solar

BMV 712 - Input from MPPT shows as minus

HopefulExplorers

I am deeply confused. This is my first solar system, so I may very well have done something wrong, but for the life of me I can’t figure out what.

I just connected my solar panel (550w) to the Victron MPPT and then the MPPT to my system. Everything seems to be working, except for the fact that the BMV is showing the solar input as being an output.

I have no other loads turned on, and it changes based on the amount of solar that’s coming.

I’ve checked all my connections (except the roof) and everything is correct.

Any suggestions as to what the issue is would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 529E0B83-C375-4271-A05F-D9AD59688327.jpeg
    529E0B83-C375-4271-A05F-D9AD59688327.jpeg
    47.3 KB · Views: 7
Thanks for the quick reply!

That may very well be. I remember being confused about it when following the Explorist Life diagram. Here is a picture of it installed. I guess the two cables need to switch places?

Attachments

• 2E05C6DF-1CBD-4849-9A6C-26F97C47E4B4.jpeg
    2E05C6DF-1CBD-4849-9A6C-26F97C47E4B4.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 24
Thanks for the quick reply!

That may very well be. I remember being confused about it when following the Explorist Life diagram. Here is a picture of it installed. I guess the two cables need to switch places?

Careful with that negative running over top of that positive post. Potential there for loosening bolt or bad crimp to make heat and melt insulation off negative cable. Obviously they would have to touch but just something to be mindful of.

Your battery switch isn't secured and the cables are not nailed down so it's easy for those nuts to loosen up.

Careful with that negative running over top of that positive post. Potential there for loosening bolt or bad crimp to make heat and melt insulation off negative cable. Obviously they would have to touch but just something to be mindful of.

Your battery switch isn't secured and the cables are not nailed down so it's easy for those nuts to loosen up.
Thanks for the heads up. I struggled with the switch, couldn’t find a way to secure the top piece… Good point on the Neg cable, need to reroute that somehow.

Back