diy solar

diy solar

Boat/RV power

HOBIETI

Did a quick search and did not find much, so here is the application.
I want to make a battery pack that would plug into the boat outboard(electric) or the RV when off grid

Electric outboard on a pontoon boat, 20HP eq rating 8400 watt input, 48V max current 175A Boat is on a small lake, low speed and probably no more than an hour or two at 50%. No charging needed in this mode, just wheel it home and plug into the RV. Not leaving a battery pack in the boat as there is no security at the marina.

RV is a trailer, probably 4000 watt max need. Trailer would have the inverter/charger as this application will be home base for the pack.

Comments, suggestions? I hate the idea of buying a gas motor for the boat and genny for the camper, thought this concept would do both well enough.
TIA

20HP eq rating 8400 watt input, 48V max current 175A Boat is on a small lake, low speed and probably no more than an hour or two at 50%
8400W at 50% for 2 hours = 8400Wh

8400Wh / 48V = 175Ah

There are plenty of ~200Ah cells that you could make a 16S battery with. It would be a bit of a beast for one person to lift in and out of a boat. But it sounds feasible.

Yes weight could be an issue. But it is a pontoon boat to a dock, so wheeling it is feasible. Thanks for the reply, in a decision mode now. Gas outboards are a pain to deal so I want to consider options.

Did a quick search and did not find much, so here is the application.
I want to make a battery pack that would plug into the boat outboard(electric) or the RV when off grid

Electric outboard on a pontoon boat, 20HP eq rating 8400 watt input, 48V max current 175A Boat is on a small lake, low speed and probably no more than an hour or two at 50%. No charging needed in this mode, just wheel it home and plug into the RV. Not leaving a battery pack in the boat as there is no security at the marina.

RV is a trailer, probably 4000 watt max need. Trailer would have the inverter/charger as this application will be home base for the pack.

Comments, suggestions? I hate the idea of buying a gas motor for the boat and genny for the camper, thought this concept would do both well enough.
TIA
Rating on the outboard is the max consumption. The more energy you push into the boat the faster you go but the shorter your range, and it's nothing like a linear relationship. Doubling your speed increases you energy consumption by four times - or worse.

So what's important isn't the max rating of your motor, but how much power you'll actually use. How fast will you be going?

https://files.dnevki.net/power_calculator.php

Back